Air Pillow deflated

Nov 12, 2012
We closed our pool 3 weeks ago and our pillow deflated in a couple days, so we bought a new one...spent a couple hours replacing it only to wake up the next morning to find it deflated!!! Sooo frustrated. There is water on the cover and its difficult to even try to get another pillow under there.....was thinking about using a tire inner tube. Anyone use these? Any suggestions?

Also, not wanting to spend $50-$100 on a pump to get the water off the cover...open to suggestions there too. Thanks

don't waste money on those stinkin pool pillows..they are all junk...get yourself a few tire innertubes..and tie them up together, and put those in the center of your pool..they'll stay inflated all winter long.

Dan

Yup I bought one of those too (new pool owner) and as soon as the weather got colder down it went. So I just cut the strings and let it sink to the bottom of the pool. I find the cover now with all the water on the top just help keep the cover down nice and tight. The air pillow actually just made the cover blow more in the wind.

I find the pillow makes it easier for me to get the water off (I have no problem with wind it seems)

I have a 2 lb plastic coated dumbell zip tied to the end of a short garden hose. I throw that onto the cover the create a well. I then go to the other side of the pool and pull on the cover to create a "ridge" from the edge of the pool to the pillow. Then then - by switching hands, walk this ridge around to the well. I then go back to where I started and walk a ridge in the other direction. This effectively moves all of the water on the cover into the well created by the weight. It takes me all of about 2 minutes to do the whole process. I then start a syphon and it sucks the cover dry. Any wet leaves i sweep off with the pool brush. Once the cover is dry, leaves just blow off. I spend about 10 minutes, twice a week, doing this process. My cover has no water and not a single leaf on it.

-dave

Can I ask why take the water off the pool cover??? It should help keep the cover from blowing around with the wind. I actually found myself wishing i hade 6-7 in water, or a foot of snow, on top of my cover to prevent the wind from picking up my cover. Just siphon it off when your ready to open the pool?????

deweypip said:
Can I ask why take the water off the pool cover??? It should help keep the cover from blowing around with the wind. I actually found myself wishing i hade 6-7 in water, or a foot of snow, on top of my cover to prevent the wind from picking up my cover. Just siphon it off when your ready to open the pool?????

with high winds its a good idea to have some water on the cover to help hold it down. If you don't pump any water off the cover though you end up with 3 feet of water on the cover which means when it comes time to open the pool you either let the entire cover go with (with leaves and junk and all) or pump off the cover and end up needing to refill that missing 3 feet. If you pump every so often you minimize water loss through displacement from rain and snow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have one of those tire floats that I bought at CVS last year. I threw that in the middle of the pool and put the cover on when I closed my pool last year. It is still floating on the side cause of the wind. But it was only like $2 - versus the price of the air pillow

I closed my pool in October (first time to leave up all year) and bought a cover and air pillow which was 4' x 18'. Got it all covered and in about two weeks the pillow deflated. I had it tied with string to keep in the middle. When the wind blew the cover would flap alot when the the pillow was inflated. After it deflated and water was on it I had no no problem with the cover flapping. Just uncovered it a couple days ago and water is clear. The pillow had water inside it but the plug was closed so must of ripped or got hole in it some how. Wont use a pillow now.

Do you know what a great use for all those bleach/chlorine jugs from the summer is? Keep about 10 to 15 of them...Then when you close your pool, you fill them about half way with water, and then use about three feet of clothesline rope to tie to the bottle and then tie to one grommet in the middle of each section of your AGP(above ground pool)then put the bottle on the cover...Not hanging from the side of the pool...That acts as a balast to keep the cover down. Early this past fall and winter, we had almost no rain or snow until after Christmas...so rather than filling it with water, the water jugs did the job...

However, to be safe, I always put an inch or two of water on the surface of the cover. But the jugs are ice, because as the wind blows from one side the water has a tendancy to get pushed to the other side, then you do have a cover that flaps a lot...But with the water jugs it doesn't. Before I started doing this, my cover would always blow off in heavy storms...Not any more

Air pillows will deflate if you over fill them with air...1/2 filled with air will be good enough, because as you get water and snow on the cover, it pushes down on the pillow...If it is full already the pressure is too much and it blows out from inside. It is like displacement. If you fill a bath tub to the top and then get in...what happens...You have a wet floor. Same with the water pillow...

Just my experiences fighting long midwest winters and winter storms.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.