I need help on how to clean my cartridge filter!

Oct 7, 2012
Puerto Rico
Hey guys, my cartridge filter is only 4 months old and doesnt filter for more than 2 days succesfully. When I first installed It work at 8psi, I was told by the pool suplier that anything between 8-12psi is just fine and that I should only cleaned once it reach 15psi or more. So once it reach 15 psi pressure I took it off and washed off, right away the pressure stuck at 12psi and only lasted 2-3 days before I had to washed off again. If I vacuum the pool I had to washed off the filter that same day. I tried several options to no avail, Filter degraser, acid wash, letting dry completely in the sun... I was told by the pool supplier that the filter should last between 8 mths and a year. The first time I washed off the filter never returned the same bright white color, as you can see by the picture it is like a beige-gray like color, and thats after thoroughly washed and dried on the sun. Any suggestions are greatfully accepted.

Attachments

• photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    473.2 KB · Views: 225
You may need a hose end that delivers better pressure. My filters are back to white after I wash them, but I'm using a head that delivers a hard, thin stream of water and we have fairly high pressure here. A light spray would leave most of the dirt embedded in the folds.

Also, if you let the filter dry before you try to clean it, you'll have to drag out the cleaning compounds. I let one dry and plain water did next to nothing when I tried to clean it.

ETA: Here's a post from the cartridge-cleaning thread posted above that says it better than I did.
I am posting to recommend the purchase of the small, fixed brass nozzle shown a few posts earlier. If you have a filter cartridge BUY ONE NOW. I read this post a while back but figured using my existing hose nozzle would be fine. This season I have had problems with too much pressure in my 4 cartridge, 320 sq/ft filter. The pressure has been 8-9 PSI higher than last season since I opened the pool in May. I have cleaned the filters "thoroughly" twice so far trying to reduce the pressure. Today I bought the brass nozzle shown and cleaned my filters again today with it. What a difference! The nozzle really cleans the funk out of the pleats. I reassembled everything and my pressure is now back to where it was when the filters were new (20PSI).

SebringDon said:
You may need a hose end that delivers better pressure. My filters are back to white after I wash them, but I'm using a head that delivers a hard, thin stream of water and we have fairly high pressure here. A light spray would leave most of the dirt embedded in the folds.

Also, if you let the filter dry before you try to clean it, you'll have to drag out the cleaning compounds. I let one dry and plain water did next to nothing when I tried to clean it.

ETA: Here's a post from the cartridge-cleaning thread posted above that says it better than I did.
I am posting to recommend the purchase of the small, fixed brass nozzle shown a few posts earlier. If you have a filter cartridge BUY ONE NOW. I read this post a while back but figured using my existing hose nozzle would be fine. This season I have had problems with too much pressure in my 4 cartridge, 320 sq/ft filter. The pressure has been 8-9 PSI higher than last season since I opened the pool in May. I have cleaned the filters "thoroughly" twice so far trying to reduce the pressure. Today I bought the brass nozzle shown and cleaned my filters again today with it. What a difference! The nozzle really cleans the funk out of the pleats. I reassembled everything and my pressure is now back to where it was when the filters were new (20PSI).
I was reading that thread looking for options, but unfortunaly the picture is no longer avail. I live in Puerto Rico and unfortunately plain english is not a good enough translation when I got to the hardware store. Should i look for something like this:
fbca64cb-6ac9-42fc-83d1-d6f6266a9d68_300.jpg

what are the cons of using a pressure washer?

That looks about like the nozzle I used to have that would have worked fine. The one I have now looks different but delivers a similar hard stream. I think a pressure washer has way too much pressure and will rip the cartridge fabric. Second-hand info I seem to remember reading here earlier.

In contrast to your picture, here's a filter I used during the cleanup of my swamp. It's been cleaned at least a dozen times or more using the nozzle I mentioned, and during the first part of the cleanup my system pressure was doubling in 20 minutes, so there's been a lot of dead algae on that filter. :goodjob:

PB120001.jpg

Also, I let my filters dry in the shade and never let them set in direct sunlight. I figure baking will just make anything I missed that much harder to get off when I do a chemical cleaning sooner or later.

Best price I've found was VMInnovations, delivery was quick as well. Here's the one I needed, the 150. http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_16 ... lter-.html It was $64.95 with free shipping.

However, don't give up on your old one. I had one I was about to retire until I did the cartridge cleanup process with some cleaner and a trash can. I let it soak for 24 hours, then pulled it out, gave it a good rinse, soaked in it clear water (once or twice, I forget) with rinses in between to make sure all the cleaner was history. It now looks almost as good as the one in my pic. I now have three and I rotate them, storing after cleaning, so I've always got a couple clean ones on hand. That's probably overkill but I needed 2 good ones when I was recovering my swamp (20 minute pressure cycles) and I hadn't discovered how to clean the old one effectively.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The nozzle attachment is called a sweep nozzle and is available in the states in most big home improvement stores. Here's a link from Amazon showing what it looks like: http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Brass-Swee ... per+nozzle

To get your cartridge white again, try soaking it in a solution 1 part bleach 20 parts water (approx). Place cartridge in 5 gallon bucket, add water and bleach, then cover the top of bucket with a plastic bag [to retain the fumes]. Turn cartridge over after a few hours to 'bleach' the other end. When done, flush cartridge thoroughly with fresh water and allow to air dry. This is when the sweep nozzle is effective, it will dislodge much of the residue on/in the pleats.

It is best to have 2 cartridges, one to insert in the filter while you clean and prepare the other for the next cleaning cycle.

Regards,
-Gary

SebringDon said:
Best price I've found was VMInnovations, delivery was quick as well. Here's the one I needed, the 150. http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_16 ... lter-.html It was $64.95 with free shipping.

However, don't give up on your old one. I had one I was about to retire until I did the cartridge cleanup process with some cleaner and a trash can. I let it soak for 24 hours, then pulled it out, gave it a good rinse, soaked in it clear water (once or twice, I forget) with rinses in between to make sure all the cleaner was history. It now looks almost as good as the one in my pic. I now have three and I rotate them, storing after cleaning, so I've always got a couple clean ones on hand. That's probably overkill but I needed 2 good ones when I was recovering my swamp (20 minute pressure cycles) and I hadn't discovered how to clean the old one effectively.
Please elaborate on the storing part. Do you let it dry and store it or do you store on some type of container with cleaning solution as someone else suggested?

mrmiguelrobles said:
SebringDon said:

Please elaborate on the storing part. Do you let it dry and store it or do you store on some type of container with cleaning solution as someone else suggested?
I let them dry after they're well-cleaned. If they look good after a spray, I let them sit in the shade and dry, then store them in the garage. If they don't clean up, I throw them in a garbage can along with some cleaner and start the process. Once they look good again, it's dry and store time.

jblizzle said:
Can you add your pool details to you signature (rules-for-signatures-and-avatars-please-read-t3903.html)?

Wondering what filter you have. Based on the size you listed, a general recommendation would be for a cartridge filter at least 100 sqft.
Based on your post here are some pics, I will be updating my signature as soon as I have more details on my equipment: So far I know the pump is 1 hp, not sure how many gallons per minute or such... Filter I believe is a 120sqft and pretty sure pump is a chinesse knockoff of some other brand model. Please enlighten me!

pumpfull.jpg

pumpdetail.jpg

filterfull.jpg

filterdtail.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.