Will these work as a replacement for chlorine tablets?

Oct 7, 2012
Puerto Rico
I recently saw this at the local grocery store, I've read a little about the BBB method and I was wondering if this toilet bowl cleaners could be a replacement for chlorine tablets. On the attached photo you could see the ingridients as I do not know for a Fact the ones on a chlorine tablet.

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 189
I presume you have read the Pool School to learn the problems of using only Trichlor tabs. Chlorinating liquid or bleach has the least side effects since it doesn't increase Cyanuric Acid (CYA) nor Calcium Hardness (CH). The toilet bowl cleaner are essentially bromine tabs somewhat similar to what would be used in a bromine spa though have more chlorine in them then typical bromine tabs. What is it you are trying to do?

chem geek said:
I presume you have read the Pool School to learn the problems of using only Trichlor tabs. Chlorinating liquid or bleach has the least side effects since it doesn't increase Cyanuric Acid (CYA) nor Calcium Hardness (CH). The toilet bowl cleaner are essentially bromine tabs somewhat similar to what would be used in a bromine spa though have more chlorine in them then typical bromine tabs. What is it you are trying to do?
I just saw this ones and based on the little I've read on the BBB method, since I do not know exactly what are the components on a pool chlorine tablet , took a wild guess if this would do the same work... Now I know it doesn't , thanks!

Trichlor pucks/tabs have the chemical "Trichloroisocyanuric acid" aka "trichloro-s-triazinetrione" aka "Trichlor". However, if you read about the BBB method in the Pool School you would know that you want to limit your use of Trichlor since it increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) over time thereby reducing chlorine effectiveness which can then let alage grow. So I still don't understand why you are trying to find a direct substitute for Trichlor. Please read How to Chlorinate Your Pool in the Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.