drain pool

May 23, 2010
union beach n.j.
didnt really know where to put this but my question is, if i completly drain my inground pool 20x40 3' to 8' deep. is there a time frame of how long the pool could be empty? is there a possibilty of collapse? or could it go a long while w/ no problems?

If you drain your VINYL pool past the shallow end the liner will slip and move and upon refilling water pressure will put a large amount of stress on the wall/floor seam which could allow a split along the seam. Vinyl liners should never be drained unless there is a vacuum running behind the liner to hold it in place and to minimize shrinking. Even then they should be refilled as quickly as possible.

im sorry heres the situation there is a 50' oak tree that fell in my pool right through the bottom i believe, and is losing water and will probably be empty in a few more days, the pool was also flooded 4' above pool and there is unimaginable amount of garbage from the raritan bay, tree leaves and limbs and it is pitch black cannot see more then an inch in the water and i have no money to fix and insurance cant assess the damage until the pool is empty, hence it could be a long time before this pool will be fixed and if it gets fixed at all, but i just want to be reassured that the pool is not going to collapse in on itself from being empty.

I'm not certain anyone could or should assure you of that because the answer depends on the water table. Leaving it empty could well exacerbate the damage. Is it possible in this case to have a professional assess and advise? An adjuster would benefit from that info anyways. The professional might then suggest the most sensible way to deal with your site conditions.

Just remember that an insurance loophole often used by companies is to disqualify coverage of damage caused by not taking reasonable measures to prevent further damage. So I wouldn't drain the pool and risk a wall collapse from hydrostatic pressure.

the pool is draining itself, and the tree is still in there, its not my tree its my neighbors and they got somebody coming to take it out next saturday and i fear it will be empty by then, should i get a company in here now while the tree is still in there to advise me of what to do cause they really cant do nothing till that tree is out?

oh and the ground water is still high cause my sump pumps are still pumping like crazy?

I'd suggest in your situation you call a local pool builder for the best advice. This is a bit of a tricky situation to my mind, and I'd hate to see your situation made worse by well-meaning suggestions on a bulletin board. I'd call them TODAY, explain the situation, explain your concerns, and ask what your best course for remedy would be.

Any builders want to chime in on best steps?

I install pools in Cincinnati and this time of year new pools sit empty all winter but I know our pools have a good footer/bondbeam poured. I know most of the builders in this area and how their work is done. If I show up on a pool that I can't tell who built it I wouldn't drain it for a long period of time, we had a wood wall pool collapse on us years back and learned a hard lesson from it. If you know who built the pool ask how it was installed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
well finally got the tree out today, the water level i think has stabilized at about half empty. what is visible though is the liner in one corner has pulled out of the little grove in the coping about 3 feet long, and a hole in the liner in the same spot as if the tree went into the liner and pulled the liner out of the track not from the loss of water the hole is about the size of a baseball what do you guys think is the liner toast or can it be saved?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.