Adding DE to a pool with no skimmer

Nov 11, 2012
Hi,

have recently taken over pool service on our pool (pool service co closed down). Pool is large in ground, older, and has no skimmer. Intake suction is at bottom of pool (10ft.deep end). Just backwashed and cleaned grids on DE filter. Green muck caked all over, but came off with water spray only.

Pool water is green and stagnant, cannot tell if DE in the water.

What is the nest way to add DE to my system? Via the pool pump? Via the intake at the bottom of the pool? Via a sidewall suction inlet that is currently capped but I can access?

Many thanks for your advice!

There's a surprisingly simple solution.
Uncap your suction side port on the pool wall, then take a container, bucket, whatever you like. Fill it maybe 1/3-1/2 full of DE.
Then, very quickly, turn it sideways as you dunk it into the water and swoop it onto the side wall over the intake port. Leaving a small gap at the top so water can come in.

The action of the water rushing in as you dive with the bucket, along with it pushing against the DE in the bucket will keep it from flowing out if done quickly enough.
You may also choose to use a container small enough that you can place your hand over it, or a larger container with a board to cover the opening. Then slide it off the opening once you get the container positioned over the inlet.

Just hold the container/bucket there until all of the DE is sucked in.

This isn't the simplest thing to explain, but it's not a hard operation. It's more in the technique than anything. So I would suggest practicing on a smaller scale 1st, before you work up to a bigger bucket. That way you can work out how to keep from dumping it in the pool. :)
I have done this many times, it works great, but can take a bit of practice to make it go smoothly. Once you're at the wall, the hard part is over.

Whatever you do, don't turn the bucket right side up. You'll have a mess.
Don't worry if you get a little DE in your pool. You can either vacuum it up, or just let the pump take care of it over a short time.

Now would also be a good time to decide if you want to go with cellulose media, as opposed to DE.
I highly recommend it, you can search the forums for info on it.
Did you acid wash and carefully inspect the grids in the DE filter?

Hope that helps. I do have another idea, but I have never tried it. It's only a theory. So I'll wait on that one till some other members come along.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.