Pool Removal

dk1uk

Nov 9, 2012
Hi - I realise that most people on this site will see me as an antichrist removing our outdoor pool, but there are various reasons for wanting to do this.

We have a builder who will basically be infilling the pool but it's down to me to ensure that any services (power/water) have been dealt with in advance.

1. I need to ensure that the electricity to the pool is killed before he starts work. Under a flap next to the pool is a small electrical junction box - I think it powers a light in the pool. Would there normally be any other electrical equipment in the pool that I need to be aware of? I have already dealt with the pump and filter which are in the boiler room - other than a light, would there be any other electrics in the pool?

2. Would there normally be a direct water feed into the pool? When he starts digging the pool up, I want to make sure we don't end up severing a water feed. I know nothing about pools - would there normally be a water feed, or would it have been topped up by a garden hose?

Really appreciate any advice you can provide.

1) That should take care of the electrical. The only common hookups are pool lights, and the pump/heater/SWG. No other electrical runs should come within 5 feet of the pool.

2) Direct fill lines certainly exist, though they are on less than half of all pools. If there is one, it will have a shutoff valve somewhere outside and will fill the pool through a skimmer like box/basin connected to the pool. There is also a possibility of irrigation/lawn watering pipes in the general area, and some chance of other water supply or sewer lines, though they are generally moved away from the pool area.

Many thanks - I haven't yet found a water shut-off valve so I think the pool must have been topped up by a hose pipe.

I presume that if I turn off the pump and filter then it doesn't matter if the builders cause any damage to the underground pipes that lead from the boiler room to the pool?

The other thing is that the pool equipment in the boiler room does take a feed from the boiler to heat the pool, but I guess if I just disconnect that feed into the pool equipment, then all should be well?

Thanks again.

Check to See if utility locator services are available to you. Do your neighbors live close? You may want your house and theirs marked to avoid surprises... Ask me how I know?

Is the pool drained? If it is no need to worry about the pipes related to the pool including autofill. Did you Sell the pool equipment?

Sent via Tapatalk...

UnderWaterVanya said:
Check to See if utility locator services are available to you. Do your neighbors live close? You may want your house and theirs marked to avoid surprises... Ask me how I know?

Is the pool drained? If it is no need to worry about the pipes related to the pool including autofill. Did you Sell the pool equipment?

Sent via Tapatalk...

811 - that is the government mandated national number for mark outs. Calling 811 in any location will put you in contact with your local one-call center who will then contact either the utilities or their contractors to come an do a mark out. All at no cost to you.

-dave

Before renovating my pool I considered filling in as well. Make sure you check with your city to make sure you don't need a permit and if you can fill in or it has to be removed. In my city you need a permit and it has to be removed. It could be a costly mistake. I hope your city is not as strict as ours.
Good Luck

dk1uk said:
I'm in the UK - I don't think we have an equivalent service. What would that service do if we did have it?

You may or may not have it. I would suggest looking in your phone book in the general information services.

In the US the government awards one call center franchises. They cover a state, or a number of states. When you call 811, your call gets routed to one of these one call centers. Each utility in the area that has subsurface utilities has to be registered with the one call center. The one call center either notifies the utility, or notifies the utilities designated contractor that somone is requesting a mark out. The utility (or their contractor) then has three days to go to that site and mark out any subsurface infrastructure. Thats about it in a nutshell. In the US there are steep penalties for not calling the one call service before you dig. We had some very bad accidents (gas mains and such) a number of years ago that prompted a lot of this reform.

I used to represent the company I work for on the North American Telecommunications Damage Prevention Council, which in conjunction with the Common Ground Alliance were the creators of a lot of these initiatives.

If such a service does not exist in the UK, you could always pay somone to come in and do a private mark out.

-dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Search for "dial before you dig UK" on Google. There are some private options that are probably geared towards business use. BT offered to locate their lines free of charge.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.