Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Does anyone know any tricks for getting stuck PVC loose?

Does anyone know any tricks for getting stuck PVC loose?

I have a Polaris cleaner with the quick disconnect.

It came with the house/pool and last year I had to cut off this fitting and buy a new one.

It was stuck on and I assumed that the old owners just didn’t use it and over time it oxidized effectively bonding the pieces.

Well I bought a new one and was able to use the quick disconnect two times before it was stuck again.

I would like to get it apart and lube it but like I said I can’t get it off.

Does anyone know any tricks for getting stuck PVC loose?

Hot water or something like that?
    10,000 Gal. - Plaster – I.G. - Sand Filter – NOT USING MY Auto Puck Chlorinator.

You can try this, put one end in very hot water, then immerse the other end in cold, one should shrink the other expand. Short of that you might want to try and see if some Silicone lubricant could be worked into it but spraying it on, then allowing the whole thing to stand up while the silicone works its way down
    Canada
    14 X 28 Inground Aquarite SWG, Waterfall
    Solar Panels, Goldline Aqua Solar Controller
    Coast Spa

All kept clear with BBB

You want to get a fitting off of a pipe? Take a hacksaw, and cut a groove in the bell of the fitting, then use a screwdriver or something similar to twist in the slot and split it.
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

A strap wrench works great when dealing with big PVC joints.
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    A strap wrench works great when dealing with big PVC joints.
    Yep. If you own a pool, particularly an inground, it's a "must have" piece of equipment. I have two in my pump room. One sized for PVC unions and the locking ring on my telescopic pole, and one that can go bigger. I use the small one pretty regularly.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat