Well, what should I changing

Oct 28, 2012
Seattle, WA
This is probably going to be ugly (the negative responses) but I am still pretty new to maintaining a pool.

This is the results from a local pool store sample. I will just present it just as it reads on the print out:

Keep in mind, this is an indoor, fiberglass pool.

Saturation index: 0.6
TDS: 600
CYA: 40
TC: 2.4
FC: 2.4
PH: 8.0
TA: 152
ATA: 140
Total Hardness: 218
Optimizer: 3

I realize the PH is a little high (regular issue with my pool). I also now realize the TA is pretty darn high... last sample I took in was around 80 and they recommended I increase it dramatically... I added about half of what they recommend and got this high.

I think its funny they call Borate, Optimizer as that is what they sell. I plan to do the borax deal but am considering draining the pool for a refinish and keep putting it off until I finally make a decision and get going.

So what should I change...

Really nothing is that bad. Yes the pH should come down a bit and the FC needs to be raised some based on that CYA level (which is fine). The TA will take care of itself while you keep the pH in line.

The biggest thing you should change is who is doing the testing. Order one of the recommended test kits and then trust your own testing as pool stores seem to be pretty bad at it.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Sounds like you are off to a good start. It takes reading through Pool School a few times to start to really understand anything. And of course ask questions as they come up.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Like jblizzle says, pH and FC ought to fix you up.

One question, though: What's it look like? Clear? Cloudy? Tinted? Pool store tests are not noted for accuracy; many people have reported fine readings yet the water looks like pea soup. And remember, what you're after is clear, clean water, not perfect readings.

I'd have my doubts about the store testing if they told you 80 was too low for TA. That's just fine. But high TA will tend to drive pH up. So they sold you something to raise TA and now you'll need to buy something else to lower pH and TA. Which is the vicious cycle we call pool-stored. Once you start your own testing, the wild swings will stop, and things will get pretty boring in a matter of weeks.

You will learn your pool's personality; every one is different. Your pH may flat-line once you hit the sweet spot of pH and TA that your pool prefers. Keep track of your results and what you add, and how it reacts, and eventually you'll know your pool volume within about 100 gallons. You may be scratching your head now; wait for the kit and it will start to make sense.

If you haven't ordered the kit yet, add a speedstir. No one who has one regrets buying it. If it's too late, put it on your list for Santa. Then you'll have a toy to play with on Christmas morning! :mrgreen:

Thanks, I'll have to call and see if I can add the speed stir... not aware of that product yet.

The pool is crystal clear and has been since I took ownership.

I sort of knew the TA increase was too much and hence not adding nearly the level recommended. I did think increasing it was a good idea b/c I thought the higher TA, while initially increasing PH, would help slow the PH crawl that I have been experiencing to date.

Once my new kit arrives, I will likely get set-up to raise the borate level to around 50... thinking of just using boric acid but need to figure out how much I need and get it ordered.

I currently use 3" trichlor tabs but the pool is indoor and Seattle doesn't get much sunlight :)... and we don't use the pool much so 1-2 tablets last several weeks or has in the past... but I was aiming for 2.5-3 at that time, I am now aiming for closer to 4.0.

Cheers

Assuming you plan to drain eventually you cab probably get away with the low use you have in pucks... But watch the CYA it will climb on you.

Sent via Tapatalk...

I was just reading that in the pool school again last night... the problem is, the previous owner left well over $100 is pucks... thinking I might be able to use them slowly over time to supplement using bleach but I will just have to watch it closely and see how it goes.

lohmaraj said:
I was just reading that in the pool school again last night... the problem is, the previous owner left well over $100 is pucks... thinking I might be able to use them slowly over time to supplement using bleach but I will just have to watch it closely and see how it goes.
The thing is, you don't need a lot of CYA with an indoor pool. There's not going to be much UV degradation of the chlorine.

But pucks have a long, long shelf life if you keep them dry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.