Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Expansion joint options.

1. Back To Top    #1

Expansion joint options.

PB about to pour our deck. Any options I have for expansion joints besides pine at an interface with a side patio?? Something nice that will last like....forever???
    15 K gal/gunnite, 600 gal attached SPA, Hayward: ProLogic, ColorLogic LED, Super II pumps, 400k BTU heater, StarClear cartridge filter for, SwimClear cartridge filter . Pentaire: booster

http://www.troublefreepool.com/detai...l?hilit=corpus

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Expansion joint options.

Trex or a similar synthetic product maybe
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

3. Back To Top    #3

My PB used a foam material between my existing and new deck. After the new has cured, the top 1/2 in of the foam tears away and they place a flexible sealant over the foam.
    Blaine

50' x 22' 27k gal shotcrete freeform, 2hp 2 sp Pentair Whisperflo, Pool Pilot RC-52 SWCG, Pentair TR 100 sand filter, Polaris 280, 2 Pentair Intellibrite LED lights with controller, french gray plaster, Butterfield U-20 "smoke"integral colored salt finish concrete cantilever deck on one side, flagstone coping on the other.

My pool build:
    osage-hills-pool-build-t50526.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Hmm. I'll inquire about this. That is likely part of their plan at the interest with the pool but wanna ask of the method you describe is an option at the back patio. Thanks!
    15 K gal/gunnite, 600 gal attached SPA, Hayward: ProLogic, ColorLogic LED, Super II pumps, 400k BTU heater, StarClear cartridge filter for, SwimClear cartridge filter . Pentaire: booster

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

How wide is the joint? bpricedo is on the right track. Synthetic decking may not allow for enough movement.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks like an inch. If you look at my pics you can see it up against back patio.

7. Back To Top    #7

Oh sorry. Pics on 'underway in corpus Christi' post.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

An inch is pretty wide. I do not know where your pics are but can't measure from them anyway. An inch it too wide for caulk, IMO. How about the side furthest away from the side pation? Is there expansion room there?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

It sounds like the Stegmeier joint system. I am thinking about getting it as well as the drain system when I finish the rest of my landscaping. The joint system seemed to provide that expansion space with the ability to change the top 1/2 inch over and over as people's tastes change. Looked like you could peel out the sealant if it was damaged or if you decided to change your surface.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

10. Back To Top    #10

Deck has not been poured but they have a 1 inch wide piece of pine at the junction with the patios but are doing the foam/caulk thing around the pool. The pool builder echoed what has been posted above, the foam/caulk is not wide enough for the junction between my existing patios and the deck....said he doesn't sleep well at night unless he placed adequate expansion joints. I'm gonna let him do his thing, i'm sure it'll be fine as everyone above seems to agree. Thanks!!