Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris From Central California

1. Back To Top    #1

Chris From Central California

Hello, my name is Chris from California and I am a homeowner with 18 years of do it myself pool maintenance with 1st year issues. I let my PH get too low, went on a 2 week vacation and now own a green pond! Got the PH back up to 7.6 and now battling green cloudy water! I cleaned cartridge filters and just letting the water settle for a week. Chlorine levels are reading now at normal. Not sure if I sure add any algicide in right now but maybe I need to get water tested for alkalinity issues. I feel embarrassed.
    Central California-27,000 gallon in ground concrete pool-Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge Filter-Polaris Pool Sweep

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Chris From Central California

Hi, Chris, Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you may have a misconception about how your algae got started.

Pool School, in the upper right corner, is a wealth of information. I would suggest starting there and read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" . Glad you found the forum and hope you will stick around
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

BTW, I learned a lot from the "Pool Rule" forum. I never knew you could use bleach in a pool!
    Central California-27,000 gallon in ground concrete pool-Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge Filter-Polaris Pool Sweep

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Dave! From what I read/learned, low PH will cause Chlorine to not work which lead to algae? Maybe I have to reread.............tablets killed me I feel.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome!

Low PH will not cause chlorine not to work, but low FC levels combined with High CYA (tablet use) will. Post up a full set of test results and we'll get you headed in right direction. Normal FC levels to us can mean many different things.

pool-school/defeating_algae
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds good! I will be back! This was beautiful stuff! turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html

7. Back To Top    #7

Okay here it is. My pool is milky cloudy now

FAC 3ppm
    TAC 3
    CH 390 ppm
    CYA 150 ppm
    TA 200 ppm
    pH 7.6

8. Back To Top    #8

9. Back To Top    #9

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13378283@N03/8168025030/

I just cleaned the cartridges again.............

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterPoolMan

FAC 3ppm
    TAC 3
    CH 390 ppm
    CYA 150 ppm
    TA 200 ppm
    pH 7.6
    It's going to stay that way for a while unless you do something about the FC/CYA levels.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320

FAC 3ppm
    TAC 3
    CH 390 ppm
    CYA 150 ppm
    TA 200 ppm
    pH 7.6
    It's going to stay that way for a while unless you do something about the FC/CYA levels.
    What should I do? I have no drain on the pool, so I was going to purchase/rent a submersible pump and drain 1/2 of the water...............

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320

FAC 3ppm
    TAC 3
    CH 390 ppm
    CYA 150 ppm
    TA 200 ppm
    pH 7.6
    What should I do? I have no drain on the pool, so I was going to purchase/rent a submersible pump and drain 1/2 of the water...............
    Study pool-school/pool_water_chemistry

Reread the how to perform the shock process article.

If you've mechanically removed as much crud from the bottom as you can, drain a whole bunch of water to lower CYA to respectable levels, then do what the shock process article says to do.

Maybe this thread will inspire you a little: first-time-shocking-with-bleach-t45074.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

Where did your test results come from? I am curious how the CYA reading was 150 when the tests max at 100. You likely need to replace more than half the water to get the CYA in check and then start to work on they other parameters ... using one of the recommended test kits.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Where did your test results come from? I am curious how the CYA reading was 150 when the tests max at 100. You likely need to replace more than half the water to get the CYA in check and then start to work on they other parameters ... using one of the recommended test kits.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    From Leslie's Poll Supply............

15. Back To Top    #15

Pool store tests are notorious for being bad. Read in pool school about the recommended test kits and get one ASAP.

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    Pool store tests are notorious for being bad. Read I'm pool school about the recommended test kits and get one ASAP.

Sent via Tapatalk...
    In pool school, the kit that comes from Leslie's, it states that that test kit only comes with 5 CYA tests? Is that correct?

17. Back To Top    #17

Pool store tests are notorious for being bad.
    In pool school, the kit that comes from Leslie's, it states that that test kit only comes with 5 CYA tests? Is that correct?
    Yes it is more economical to get the other kit. However, you don't have to test CYA often as it will not change without adding it or removing some water and refilling with water that doesn't have CYA in it.

Also you can do the test a few times using the same solution to confirm your results.

One more caution: Leslie's usually does not carry the right kit in the stores. They typically only carry the kits without the FAS-DPD chlorine test (not the basic DPD kit.)

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

18. Back To Top    #18

Pool store tests are notorious for being bad. Read I'm pool school about the recommended test kits and get one ASAP.

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Yeah, 4 or 5, I think. Get the TF-100 from one of the links you'll see all around the forum. It's a bit more expensive but comes with a lot more chemicals. I think it's an extra $10 to get the upgrade that doubles the chems for the FAS-DPD chlorine test, which makes it an even better deal.

Also, CYA will be a monthly test or less once you get settled in, and testing anything but cl & pH daily is just a waste of chemicals. Those are the only two you have to worry about rapid changes once your water is dialed in.
    14,500 gallons, Clean and Clear 150 cartridge, IG, gunite, USQ 1152 1.5 hp motor (3450 rpm), Pentair Pinnacle Pump

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks guys! I found the other one on the net for around $50. I am going to drain 3/4 of my water this weekend. I love this site! 1st problem I had in years and I thought I was doing the right thing all the time! I will keep you updated.

One thing I found, for double the price of renting a submersible pump, I am just going to purchase one for under $90.

One more question, I never used liquid bleach or chlorine, how often do you have to put that stuff in once your balanced? Should I purchase a whole bunch like I did when I used pucks?

20. Back To Top    #20

The shock process can take gallons depending on what's growing in your water, whether there's a lot of ammonia present, etc. Once you get your water changed out and start the process, you can watch consumption and taper off the buying when the consumption starts to decline. You'll want several gallons on hand when you start, at least.

However, once you've got things cleaned up, consumption slows way down. I'm using 18oz a day in my 14,500 gal pool to maintain my FC level, or a little over a gallon a week. That translates to less than $10 a month for chemicals, although I'm sure that will go up some in hot weather.
    14,500 gallons, Clean and Clear 150 cartridge, IG, gunite, USQ 1152 1.5 hp motor (3450 rpm), Pentair Pinnacle Pump

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast