Re-surface IG Gunnite/Plaster

Aug 18, 2012
Sacramento CA
I will have to address this sooner of later, so might as well get the options kicking around the old cranium..

The pool is ~30 years old, and shows at least three surfaces - gunnite, plaster (?) and paint.

The house across the street had a spray truck of some sort come by and make it look shiny white. They also left their lights on and their deep-cycle batteries (also ~30 years old) died. I got them jummp-started and asked for a quote. Just standing in the FR, he asked if there was a spa. and then said $4K.

Don't know how much one needs to know about the situation to make an estimate, but I'm not likely to hire people who can't start their trucks.

One sprayer rig I saw with the name of a Pool Co on the door was loaded with bags of stuff labelled "White Cement".

Q's:

Has "white cement" replaced "plaster" as the preferred top surface in the CA central valley?

Should it?

How much more for one of the proprietary "pebble" surfaces? Any concern that such a finish is going to be the shag carpet/laminate floor/SS appliances, etc, of the industry?

Does the remaining plaster (or whatever) need to be stripped before a new top coat is applied? If so, how is that properly done?

If I'm looking to sell in 2-3 years, would paint be an option? Again, would old material need to be srtipped

Well here in FL when you call and get a resurface they remove the old and install the new. Yes there are coatings you can put over the old stuff but that is an epoxy paint like product. I do not know of anyone that has had it done so I can't speak of how good it is but it is out there.

I guess you have to look at your costs vs how long you plan to stay in the house. If you are looking to just freshen up the look so you can sell, then maybe the epoxy product is the way to go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.