Bleach...what brand?

Mar 18, 2008
Garden State
I am getting ready to pull the cover off and see what I have to deal with. I plan to start with a combination of the BBB and using some of the tri-chlor pucks I have left over from last season and move to 100% BBB as time goes on.

If not using the 12.5% liquid chlorine from the pool store or other source, what brands of bleach does everyone use? Walmart seems to sell a store brand under the label of Ultra Bleach for a much better price than I have found Clorox. I saw another post of Aldi's selling bleach at a good price; need to locate an Aldi's to see what they have locally. Is there any reason to go with Clorox - are there any issues of other brands not being a true 6% concentration that is on the label or anything like that?

Once again, thanks to everyone in advance...

Clorox Regular unscented is 6% and marked on the bottle as such. Most off-brand Ultra bleaches are also 6% but are usually not marked so you somewhat take your chances. Most off-brand Regular bleaches are very weak, some less than 3%, a few at 5.25%. Other pool users have used Wal-Mart Ultra bleach and as far as we know it behaves as if it's 6%. In fact, it may actually be better to use an off-brand Ultra bleach since Clorox has been adding sodium polyacrylate in their Clorox Regular bleach since April, 2005 (see this thread). I still do not have a definitive answer from Clorox on the effects of this additive.

[EDIT] I stand corrected on off-brand not labeling their bottles. As seen in the posts below, they often do and it's 6%. Must just be my local grocery store brands that aren't labeling. [END-EDIT]

Richard

Big Lots sells one called Sno-ee Bleach which is 3% (called the manufacturer and verified).

As for the WalMart Great Value Ultra bleach, it is 6% Sodium Hypochlorite. Here's the link to their MSDS. Just place Ultra Bleach in the Product Name and you'll get all the brands they sell.

http://msds.walmartstores.com/

Safeway had their 1.46 gallon of Ultra Bleach on sale for $2.50 last week which is cheaper than WalMart. I think the sale is over, but just a reminder don't forget about the grocery store brands.

I just picked up some of the Ultra Bleach at Walmart the other day and noticed some of their infamous funny pricing. A 96 ounce bottle is $1.00, while a 176 ounce bottle is $2.28. The small bottles have a better price per ounce. You really have to watch what you buy at Walmart as the bigger package isn't always the better deal. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ivyleager said:
NicInNC said:
I bought Tundra brand from Aldi's at 99 cents for a 96oz bottle. It specifically lists that it's 6% on the bottle.
If you're in NC, where did you find and Aldi's???? Inquiring minds wat to know. That's a great price.

My little town, Kernersville. It's between Winston-Salem and Greensboro. It just opened about a year ago. There is an Aldi in Winston-Salem. I'm not sure where others are located though. You can look here:

http://www.aldifoods.com/us/html/servic ... U_HTML.htm

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.