Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Bleach...what brand?

Bleach...what brand?

I am getting ready to pull the cover off and see what I have to deal with. I plan to start with a combination of the BBB and using some of the tri-chlor pucks I have left over from last season and move to 100% BBB as time goes on.

If not using the 12.5% liquid chlorine from the pool store or other source, what brands of bleach does everyone use? Walmart seems to sell a store brand under the label of Ultra Bleach for a much better price than I have found Clorox. I saw another post of Aldi's selling bleach at a good price; need to locate an Aldi's to see what they have locally. Is there any reason to go with Clorox - are there any issues of other brands not being a true 6% concentration that is on the label or anything like that?

Once again, thanks to everyone in advance...
    Pool Details:
    - inground vinyl liner, approx 35,000 gal; Hayward DE-6000; Pentair VS3050
    - 600sq ft Heliocol; Blue Diamond; 8 Gal Liquidator
    - TF-100

Clorox Regular unscented is 6% and marked on the bottle as such. Most off-brand Ultra bleaches are also 6% but are usually not marked so you somewhat take your chances. Most off-brand Regular bleaches are very weak, some less than 3%, a few at 5.25%. Other pool users have used Wal-Mart Ultra bleach and as far as we know it behaves as if it's 6%. In fact, it may actually be better to use an off-brand Ultra bleach since Clorox has been adding sodium polyacrylate in their Clorox Regular bleach since April, 2005 (see this thread). I still do not have a definitive answer from Clorox on the effects of this additive.

[EDIT] I stand corrected on off-brand not labeling their bottles. As seen in the posts below, they often do and it's 6%. Must just be my local grocery store brands that aren't labeling. [END-EDIT]

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

I have bought several brands that were clearly labeled as 6% and never had any problems. Be very wary of brands that don't list the percentage.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Big Lots sells one called Sno-ee Bleach which is 3% (called the manufacturer and verified).

As for the WalMart Great Value Ultra bleach, it is 6% Sodium Hypochlorite. Here's the link to their MSDS. Just place Ultra Bleach in the Product Name and you'll get all the brands they sell.

http://msds.walmartstores.com/

Safeway had their 1.46 gallon of Ultra Bleach on sale for $2.50 last week which is cheaper than WalMart. I think the sale is over, but just a reminder don't forget about the grocery store brands.
    30K gal. IG Free form
    Cartridge Filter, Solar and Gas Heater
    Using BBB

I bought Tundra brand from Aldi's at 99 cents for a 96oz bottle. It specifically lists that it's 6% on the bottle.
    27' ABG
    Sand Filter

Thanks guys!

Found an Aldi's on the way home from the office and picked up 36 bottles - should be a good start hopefully.
    Pool Details:
    - inground vinyl liner, approx 35,000 gal; Hayward DE-6000; Pentair VS3050
    - 600sq ft Heliocol; Blue Diamond; 8 Gal Liquidator
    - TF-100

I just picked up some of the Ultra Bleach at Walmart the other day and noticed some of their infamous funny pricing. A 96 ounce bottle is $1.00, while a 176 ounce bottle is $2.28. The small bottles have a better price per ounce. You really have to watch what you buy at Walmart as the bigger package isn't always the better deal.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

Went to Food Lion this evening and they have regular Clorox 1.42gallon @ 2 for $5 w/ MVP card!
    Marc

15x33, 13k, AGP, vinyl, 3/4 HP Pump, Sand Filter, TF-100 test kit.

Quote Originally Posted by NicInNC
    I bought Tundra brand from Aldi's at 99 cents for a 96oz bottle. It specifically lists that it's 6% on the bottle.
    If you're in NC, where did you find and Aldi's???? Inquiring minds wat to know. That's a great price.
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

I too buy at Aldi's
    They have a website and you can search for an Aldi's near you!

Mike
    22,000 IG vinyl liner
    sand filter
    LQ 8 gallon

Jacuzzi Hot Tub
    420 gallons

I use Walmart's Ultra Bleach and pay 2.28 for 174 fl oz bottle. (1 gal 46 oz.)It's been working great so far!
    *~ Laura ~*
    27x52 Aquasphere Conquest AGP (approx.17,100 gal)
    1 HP Pentair Dynamo Pump & SD-40 Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    BBB User- Salt Added

Albertsons has their off brand 96oz bottles for .99 each
    27' Round AG, 17,200 gallons, sand filter

Quote Originally Posted by ivyleager
    Quote Originally Posted by NicInNC
    If you're in NC, where did you find and Aldi's???? Inquiring minds wat to know. That's a great price.
    My little town, Kernersville. It's between Winston-Salem and Greensboro. It just opened about a year ago. There is an Aldi in Winston-Salem. I'm not sure where others are located though. You can look here:

http://www.aldifoods.com/us/html/servic ... U_HTML.htm
    27' ABG
    Sand Filter