Taylor Cyanuric Test Reading

Oct 29, 2012
Katy, TX
I'm having another small algae issue and wanted to see if anyone else here would care to verify my CYA reading of 45. I'm chlorinating based on a 45 CYA reading and wondering if I'm off a bit. See attached images.

[attachment=2:2pr3fzk9]CYA55_small.jpg[/attachment:2pr3fzk9]

[attachment=1:2pr3fzk9]CYA50_small.jpg[/attachment:2pr3fzk9]

[attachment=0:2pr3fzk9]CYA45_small.jpg[/attachment:2pr3fzk9]

Attachments

• CYA55_small.jpg
    CYA55_small.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 122
  • CYA50_small.jpg
    CYA50_small.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 122
  • CYA45_small.jpg
    CYA45_small.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 122
Even at 55 I still see the dot.

When I take the reading - and remember, this is just me - I hold the view tube with thumb and one finger at waist level, in full sunlight but shaded so I don't get glare off the top surface. When i used the 50 ppm standard solution, I'm right on the money.

Also remember to pour your sample back, mix it again a little, and take another reading, as many times as it takes to get consistent readings. If it's within about 5 ppm, use the higher reading. A little extra bleach every day has got to be cheaper than the full-on shock process.

Yeah, I definitely see the dot at 55, but at 45 I also can see the dot very faintly. Below is the 45 again under direct full sun (instead of the previous 45 image I sent which was indirect full sun).

[attachment=0:hqb8vtli]CYA45_sun_small.jpg[/attachment:hqb8vtli]

Attachments

• CYA45_sun_small.jpg
    CYA45_sun_small.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 113
I also see the dot at 45. I have poor vision due to retinal detachments and high astigmatism and the start of cateracts... but I still see that dot. It's really hard NOT to see it. But I'd rather err on the high side like Richard says...

Right, I agree. So I guess my original post was to get feedback on the question - "I can see the dot disappearing from about 55ppm all the way down to like 20ppm, so how much CYA do I really have?" I can keep convincing myself that I can see the dot over a pretty wide range, but I know that match and chemistry tell me that I should have roughly 50ppm CYA. Is my "standard" for a dissapeared dot different that what the rest of you consider it?

houstonTex said:
Right, I agree. So I guess my original post was to get feedback on the question - "I can see the dot disappearing from about 55ppm all the way down to like 20ppm, so how much CYA do I really have?" I can keep convincing myself that I can see the dot over a pretty wide range, but I know that match and chemistry tell me that I should have roughly 50ppm CYA. Is my "standard" for a dissapeared dot different that what the rest of you consider it?
It's a very subjective test.

The bottom line is: the dot should be gone. Period. Invisible. No idea it was ever there. Tilting your head side-to-side doesn't change it. Try looking away for a brief bit to get the image to go away, then look again.

Or order up a bottle of the 50ppm standard solution the next time you order refills and check yourself. If you aren't getting pool-stored, you ought to have enough cash to afford it now!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.