Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taylor Cyanuric Test Reading

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylor Cyanuric Test Reading

I'm having another small algae issue and wanted to see if anyone else here would care to verify my CYA reading of 45. I'm chlorinating based on a 45 CYA reading and wondering if I'm off a bit. See attached images.

[attachment=2:2pr3fzk9]CYA55_small.jpg[/attachment:2pr3fzk9]

[attachment=1:2pr3fzk9]CYA50_small.jpg[/attachment:2pr3fzk9]

[attachment=0:2pr3fzk9]CYA45_small.jpg[/attachment:2pr3fzk9]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15,000 gallon colored plaster in-ground with spa-spillover
    Hayward Tristar 2-speed 1.5hp main, Hayward Tristar 1 speed 1hp water feature
    Hayward Cartridge Filter C4030 & Tiger Shark
    Hayward ProLogic Automation & Hayward 400k BTU Heater
    Stenner 45MPHP10 Peristaltic Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taylor Cyanuric Test Reading

Even at 55 I still see the dot.

When I take the reading - and remember, this is just me - I hold the view tube with thumb and one finger at waist level, in full sunlight but shaded so I don't get glare off the top surface. When i used the 50 ppm standard solution, I'm right on the money.

Also remember to pour your sample back, mix it again a little, and take another reading, as many times as it takes to get consistent readings. If it's within about 5 ppm, use the higher reading. A little extra bleach every day has got to be cheaper than the full-on shock process.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, I definitely see the dot at 55, but at 45 I also can see the dot very faintly. Below is the 45 again under direct full sun (instead of the previous 45 image I sent which was indirect full sun).

[attachment=0:hqb8vtli]CYA45_sun_small.jpg[/attachment:hqb8vtli]
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Back To Top    #4

I also see the dot at 45. I have poor vision due to retinal detachments and high astigmatism and the start of cateracts... but I still see that dot. It's really hard NOT to see it. But I'd rather err on the high side like Richard says...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Right, I agree. So I guess my original post was to get feedback on the question - "I can see the dot disappearing from about 55ppm all the way down to like 20ppm, so how much CYA do I really have?" I can keep convincing myself that I can see the dot over a pretty wide range, but I know that match and chemistry tell me that I should have roughly 50ppm CYA. Is my "standard" for a dissapeared dot different that what the rest of you consider it?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by houstonTex
    Right, I agree. So I guess my original post was to get feedback on the question - "I can see the dot disappearing from about 55ppm all the way down to like 20ppm, so how much CYA do I really have?" I can keep convincing myself that I can see the dot over a pretty wide range, but I know that match and chemistry tell me that I should have roughly 50ppm CYA. Is my "standard" for a dissapeared dot different that what the rest of you consider it?
    It's a very subjective test.

The bottom line is: the dot should be gone. Period. Invisible. No idea it was ever there. Tilting your head side-to-side doesn't change it. Try looking away for a brief bit to get the image to go away, then look again.

Or order up a bottle of the 50ppm standard solution the next time you order refills and check yourself. If you aren't getting pool-stored, you ought to have enough cash to afford it now!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

So your subjective eyes agree that I have less than 45ppm then?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by houstonTex
    So your subjective eyes agree that I have less than 45ppm then?
    Yes.

9. Back To Top    #9

I agree that it's less than 45 too.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks guys. Sorry to belabor the topic, I just wanted to be sure.