Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bloated bleach bottles

1. Back To Top    #1

Bloated bleach bottles

As I was bringing indoors some of the stuff in my pool shed in for the winter, I noticed that a couple of unopened bleach bottles seem to be bloated, like they are rounded in shape. It is fall in Chicago, but we've hardly had any extreme weather to this point. Any ideas what would cause this? Or more importantly, what I should do about it? I am afraid if I open them I will get a bleach blast in the eye or something, but also afraid if I leave them they may split.
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bloated bleach bottles

In warmer climates, Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) in any strength from 2.5% to 12% has a reaction as it breaks down called "off-gassing" where it converts to gaseous form. If not allowed to vent, it will expand in the container and eventually explode. I'd open them slowly and not inhale the gas that comes out. How long have you had the bleach? Was it in your shed when it was hot out?

3. Back To Top    #3

What brand of bleach? Many have a small vent in the seal that allows them to release the pressure.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

I must have bought these bottles in September so they were not there for any particularly hot periods, I doubt we even touched 90 for any length of time. The odd thing is that they looked fine, as I recall, during the month of October which is why I suspected the cold had something to do with it. They are totally sealed with no venting (a generic brand from Home Depot) so I'll open the seals to let them breath with the bottles pointed away from me.
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)