Safety cover quotes... inputs please...

Feb 16, 2012
Winston Salem NC
Below are the quotes I have gotten for my "custom" 18x36 rectangle with 4' radius corners and end steps. I generally do not cut corners on quality, so looking for some inputs here. I have heard great things about the Merlin, but have not heard any feedback on the others. Thoughts?

Also, Solid with pump, or solid with drain panel? Which is the best in terms of ease come spring time?

PolarShield Mesh- 15/3= $1,120.00

Arctic Armor Mesh- 12/2= $1,120.00
Arctic Armor Super Mesh- 15/2= $1,265.0
Arctic Armor Commercial Mesh- 25/2= $1,143.0
Arctic Armor Ultra Light Solid- 15/2= $1,179.00

Merlin Classic Mesh- 8/2= $1,070.00
Merlin Dura-Mesh- 15/2= $1,176.00
Merlin Solid W/Pump- 10/2= 1,532.00
Merlin Solid W/Panel- 10/*2= $1,386.00
Merlin Smart Mesh- 15/2= $1,491.00

Yard Guard Standard Mesh= $1,007.00
Yard Guard Bloc Mesh 95= $1,058.00
Yard Guard Bloc Mesh 99= $1,255.00
Yard Guard Solid Drain= $1,255.00
Yard Guard Solid W/Pump= $1,430.00
Yard Guard AquaMaster W/Drain= $1,160.00
Yard Guard AquaMaster W/Pump= $1,338.00

head gamez said:
Below are the quotes I have gotten for my "custom" 18x36 rectangle with 4' radius corners and end steps. I generally do not cut corners on quality, so looking for some inputs here. I have heard great things about the Merlin, but have not heard any feedback on the others. Thoughts?

Also, Solid with pump, or solid with drain panel? Which is the best in terms of ease come spring time?

PolarShield Mesh- 15/3= $1,120.00

Arctic Armor Mesh- 12/2= $1,120.00
Arctic Armor Super Mesh- 15/2= $1,265.0
Arctic Armor Commercial Mesh- 25/2= $1,143.0
Arctic Armor Ultra Light Solid- 15/2= $1,179.00

Merlin Classic Mesh- 8/2= $1,070.00
Merlin Dura-Mesh- 15/2= $1,176.00
Merlin Solid W/Pump- 10/2= 1,532.00
Merlin Solid W/Panel- 10/*2= $1,386.00
Merlin Smart Mesh- 15/2= $1,491.00

Yard Guard Standard Mesh= $1,007.00
Yard Guard Bloc Mesh 95= $1,058.00
Yard Guard Bloc Mesh 99= $1,255.00
Yard Guard Solid Drain= $1,255.00
Yard Guard Solid W/Pump= $1,430.00
Yard Guard AquaMaster W/Drain= $1,160.00
Yard Guard AquaMaster W/Pump= $1,338.00

What are the numbers like 15/2, 10/2 etc?
I wish I could give you good advice. I don't know who made the cover I use it says "performance" along the edges on the webbing. It's solid with a drain panel down the center. This is the first year I have used it but it is older and came with the pool. It's working fine so far.

I just purchased my Arctic Armour commercial mesh custom cover. Many issues with shipping (customs) from Canada to the USA but the cover finally arrived, fits like a glove (I sent them the manufacturers dig plan) so the measurements were right on! I got a deep deep discount due to their (Arctic Armour not Garfield) extensive shipping problems.
Original price quote from Garfield pools was $1269.00 delivered to the house. Actually paid about half due to shipping problems. The cover is very fine mesh and is keeping the debris out just fine.
I didn't want a solid cover due to need for a pump and amount of snow we sometimes get. I'll drain the pool down to the returns then the snow melt and rain will fill it back up. To me that's better than worrying if the cover pump froze up and water is sitting on top.

head gamez said:
What are the thoughts on a solid with pump versus a solid with drain panel?

Thanks!

Again I have only used my cover for about 2 weeks - it's older but we only got the pool with a house purchase early in the season. The pool was covered when we first looked at the house - never saw any evidence of failure to drain. When we installed the cover we made several mistakes and let it get water on top of it - it was heavy and hard to manage - but once we got the straps tight and used the brush to push the pooled water to the drain panel in the middle - it drained just fine and sprang right into place.

So far so good. The bad part is that I'm not sure how we will empty the pool of the excess water during the winter as rain fall and the occasional snowfall occur.

That is the feedback that I am looking for..... Is the extra water a problem? I assume with a drain panel, then I need to take it down well below the skimmer, but how far to avoid rain filling it back up to the skimmer?

The Arctic Armor has a 15 year warantee, and the Merlin has a 12 year warantee. I really wanted a solid with pump, but not sure it is worth the extra ~$400.

Keep it coming... I gotta pull the trigger tomorrow so I can get this thing closed (hopefully next weekend).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have been in the pool business for 30 plus years, when "Ultra Mesh" covers were introduced we tried three of them. Personally I would never recommend a cover with any mesh. I like to open pools in the spring that I can see the floor of them. A cover with any amount of mesh usually won't do that, unless you are opening very early in the spring.

I've seen Yard Guard before, I'm pretty sure they are the company with over-sized springs. I think it's more of a gimmick.
I would go with Merlin.
I think the order of most popular cover brand goes. Loop-Loc, Meyco, Merlin
Loop-loc and Meyco both developed the original cover. Merlin is quite popular as well.
If you are looking for solid with drain panels Loop-Loc and Meyco have them as well.

I have yet to see artic armor and polarshield in the field (unless there are no markings on the cover at all to tell me it's their brand)

All of those prices are less than half what our local pool store charges for a Rayner or Performance cover custom-made for our grecian style pool, I believe. Am I to assume you already have the anchors installed, and are ordering a replacement? Or is the markup just that high!?

To the question of solid with mesh square -- that's what I have. The cover is I suspect a 12-year-old Rayner with some wear. I like not having to pump. I also like the solid portion...and will tell you next spring whether I opened sufficiently clean or not ;) The mesh square is supposed to be designed in a way to reduce UV and therefor avoid algae growth but we'll see.

In my neck of the woods, where we get pretty erratic suddenly warm days in spring (eg. freezing all the week prior but 70 degrees yesterday...) the mesh covers have the reputation of breeding swamps.

Those were complete prices for new covers and anchors, custom made for my "custom" 18x36 pool. I still laugh at the fact that my 18x36 is considered "custom" due to the 4' radius corners, as almost every pool I see in my area has 4' radius.

I went with the Arctic armour solid with drain panel, after some local feedback and some feedback on here. I realize, that I may not be getting top of the line, but the feedback I had gotten in the area was possitive. I was on the fence about solid with a pump vs. with the drain, so still not sure I made the best decision there. It filters to 250um, so believe I should be good.

My plan is to open early, to take advantage of the warm days we have late winter/early spring.

I will provide feedback, and some photos of th installation once it arrives. It should be here in time for me to install it on Thanksgiving day (hoping the day before). I really drug my feet on ordering it, and as a result I have developed a hate/hate relationship with two pen oak trees!

Looking to next year, I have thought about covering it once we know we will not be using it any longer, but letting the pump run at an ultra low speed for one turnover a day. Then, once the water temp gets down, closing it down completely.

Well, still sounds like a deal. On one hand, this $3500 one has lasted 12 years, and I might get a few more out of it.
On the other hand, I'd love to replace it for half that -- so I'll be interested in hearing how yours holds up!

Sorry for the delay, and sorry for no pictures (yet).

Keep in mind that this is my first pool, and therefore my first safety cover.... so my inputs may not be calibrated!

The cover arrived boxed up neatly, and all the hardware was there. The instructions were a little lax, but being the Engineer that I am didnt think it was a problem. My dad, who has put a few covers on came over to lend a hand and brought my uncle. We got it stretched out over the pool and went to work. Well... actually we argued a little on what to do, but nonetheless we went to work after that. We installed it in about 3 hours. I went with the standard strap spacing (see below), so we didnt have as may holes to drill as others may. Everything went together easy, and it seems to be doing a great job at covering the pool (ha). An hour before we started, I had the pool spotless. Durring the install, we had allot of moderate winds (and it was about 45 degrees too). We planned to do it on the 60 degree non windy day after thanksgiving, but decided to do it on the saturday after thanksgiving instead (im a dummy). After it had been on for a week or so, I went out and turned the pump on setting 3 (cant remeber what RPM I have it set too) and let it run for a while to get all the "installation" leaves moved towards the drain. I then popped cover off of the deep end and cleaned the leaves (there were not allot, but I wanted them all out for easy opening). I then put it back over the deep end and went on my way. I have went out one other time since then and adjusted the straps a little, as I had it a little loose in one section and it was not allowing the water to drain easily.

Overall, I am happy, and think it will serve my needs well. The only thing I have to do now is wait and see how long it will last.

Honestly, given my location and yard size, I wasnt looking for a safety cover for the same purposes as most. I wanted a cover that would give me the least amount of stress when it came to putting it on and opening it. Our pool is a good distance from the house, and fenced by itself. Our neighbors are not really close.

I am out of town for work this week, but will snap a few pictures of it when I return and post. I apologize for not getting any during install, but it was COLD!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.