A quick double-check on lights when closing

tj__r

Jul 6, 2012
Way north of Chicago
I think I read in the big pool closing thread that if lights are near lowered water line, I should remove them from niches and set on deck. My lights are cone-shaped reflectors with glass domes that sit in cone-shaped niches. The lights themselves come out with one screw at the top of the bezel and have enough cord to just make it to the deck. So, I assume I take them out, lay on deck with glass dome down, maybe on a piece of bubble wrap or something softer than concrete, and use a brick or something to keep them from moving around? Sound about right? Then make sure nobody turns on by accident :?

Or is there a way to disconnect them completely and put them in the basement?

Thanx for any advice.

I assume that this precaution is to prevent ice from forming around the lights and breaking the glass? How close is the water level to the lights?

They're not meant to be permanently removed...you'd have to pull the wire all the way out of the conduit! I think your plan is basically sound; maybe you could wrap them up in something.

tj__r said:
I think I read in the big pool closing thread that if lights are near lowered water line, I should remove them from niches and set on deck. My lights are cone-shaped reflectors with glass domes that sit in cone-shaped niches. The lights themselves come out with one screw at the top of the bezel and have enough cord to just make it to the deck. So, I assume I take them out, lay on deck with glass dome down, maybe on a piece of bubble wrap or something softer than concrete, and use a brick or something to keep them from moving around? Sound about right? Then make sure nobody turns on by accident :?

Or is there a way to disconnect them completely and put them in the basement?

Thanx for any advice.

You can also tie a weight to the fixture and sink it.

meltinthesun - Water level is about 1" above top of light bezel. Needs to be there to be just under returns. Wrapping up sounds like a good idea, had not thought of that. I assume ice in the niches or on the cables isn't a problem?

qwaxalot - The lights seem really buoyant, like I'd have to tie them to a cinder block to keep them down.

Thanx again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.