Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A quick double-check on lights when closing

1. Back To Top    #1

A quick double-check on lights when closing

I think I read in the big pool closing thread that if lights are near lowered water line, I should remove them from niches and set on deck. My lights are cone-shaped reflectors with glass domes that sit in cone-shaped niches. The lights themselves come out with one screw at the top of the bezel and have enough cord to just make it to the deck. So, I assume I take them out, lay on deck with glass dome down, maybe on a piece of bubble wrap or something softer than concrete, and use a brick or something to keep them from moving around? Sound about right? Then make sure nobody turns on by accident

Or is there a way to disconnect them completely and put them in the basement?

Thanx for any advice.
    25000 gal inground curved L shape - concrete, fiberglass walls - with Jacuzzi Sherlock 160 cartridge filter, Laars Lite LLG gas heater & Klean-a-tron robot
    near the pool: Cookshack Smokette, Akorn Kamado grill, putting green
    in the shed: Deere greens mower, Simplicity FC-16 front cut mower

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A quick double-check on lights when closing

I assume that this precaution is to prevent ice from forming around the lights and breaking the glass? How close is the water level to the lights?

They're not meant to be permanently removed...you'd have to pull the wire all the way out of the conduit! I think your plan is basically sound; maybe you could wrap them up in something.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by tj__r
    I think I read in the big pool closing thread that if lights are near lowered water line, I should remove them from niches and set on deck. My lights are cone-shaped reflectors with glass domes that sit in cone-shaped niches. The lights themselves come out with one screw at the top of the bezel and have enough cord to just make it to the deck. So, I assume I take them out, lay on deck with glass dome down, maybe on a piece of bubble wrap or something softer than concrete, and use a brick or something to keep them from moving around? Sound about right? Then make sure nobody turns on by accident

Or is there a way to disconnect them completely and put them in the basement?

Thanx for any advice.
    You can also tie a weight to the fixture and sink it.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

4. Back To Top    #4

meltinthesun - Water level is about 1" above top of light bezel. Needs to be there to be just under returns. Wrapping up sounds like a good idea, had not thought of that. I assume ice in the niches or on the cables isn't a problem?

qwaxalot - The lights seem really buoyant, like I'd have to tie them to a cinder block to keep them down.

Thanx again.
    25000 gal inground curved L shape - concrete, fiberglass walls - with Jacuzzi Sherlock 160 cartridge filter, Laars Lite LLG gas heater & Klean-a-tron robot
    near the pool: Cookshack Smokette, Akorn Kamado grill, putting green
    in the shed: Deere greens mower, Simplicity FC-16 front cut mower