Green dye

Green Goblin

Gold Supporter
Nov 5, 2012
Tennessee
I am new to this site and forum. I currently own a house with a pool that's working well, so I am not new to pool management.

I'm looking to move houses and recently looked at a house that has a pool with green water in it. I have met with the owner of the house and he told me that he dyed the water green so that it would match the color of the tiles. He is convinced that his water is supposed to look this way, and he has a professional pool maintenance person as well. The description of the house even says that the pool is supposed to be green! He says that it looks great when the sun is shining. Unfortunately I have only seen it when overcast. In my opinion it looks undesirable-- it looks like an algae bloom. Most pool owners spend a lot of effort making sure the pool doesn't turn green. In fact I wonder how he'd know if he had an algae problem, since the pool already has a green appearance.

I've tried to research the idea of coloring the pool water green, and the only products I can find indicate that they only work for a few days, yet this pool is chronically green. I didn't ask him if he adds dye to the pool every few days, but the house has been vacant for months, and the pool remains green. Perhaps he comes over to dye the pool regularly?

My questions, to anyone who knows about coloring pool water, are these:
Is it possible to permanently color pool water?
Will I have to drain the pool and refill it to get the green out?
Is it possible that the green has stained the pool surface?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any experience with this.

Is the water clear? Green clear water sounds like it could be dye. Green cloudy water is not! I would be shocked to hear that anyone is putting dye in the pool at a vacant house, so my money's on algae. The dyes are broken down by chlorine, so there should be no lasting effects.

Ask the owner for the name of the dye used. I agree with above posts, either to pool surface is giving the water a green tint or it's metals or algae. Typical pool dye dissipates after a few days.

Thank you all for your kind and prompt responses.

I will investigate this a bit further. My suspicion is that the pool was surfaced in such a way as to create a green tint to the water. On top of that I suspect some degree of algae-- it just looks too cloudy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.