Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green dye

1. Back To Top    #1

Green dye

I am new to this site and forum. I currently own a house with a pool that's working well, so I am not new to pool management.

I'm looking to move houses and recently looked at a house that has a pool with green water in it. I have met with the owner of the house and he told me that he dyed the water green so that it would match the color of the tiles. He is convinced that his water is supposed to look this way, and he has a professional pool maintenance person as well. The description of the house even says that the pool is supposed to be green! He says that it looks great when the sun is shining. Unfortunately I have only seen it when overcast. In my opinion it looks undesirable-- it looks like an algae bloom. Most pool owners spend a lot of effort making sure the pool doesn't turn green. In fact I wonder how he'd know if he had an algae problem, since the pool already has a green appearance.

I've tried to research the idea of coloring the pool water green, and the only products I can find indicate that they only work for a few days, yet this pool is chronically green. I didn't ask him if he adds dye to the pool every few days, but the house has been vacant for months, and the pool remains green. Perhaps he comes over to dye the pool regularly?

My questions, to anyone who knows about coloring pool water, are these:
    Is it possible to permanently color pool water?
    Will I have to drain the pool and refill it to get the green out?
    Is it possible that the green has stained the pool surface?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any experience with this.
    Desperately seeking pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Green dye

If you add dye to change the color of the water it will filter out in a few days if you do this often yes it can stain the plaster. I would drain the pool and if the plaster is stained try a chlorine wash

3. Back To Top    #3

Is the water clear? Green clear water sounds like it could be dye. Green cloudy water is not! I would be shocked to hear that anyone is putting dye in the pool at a vacant house, so my money's on algae. The dyes are broken down by chlorine, so there should be no lasting effects.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Metals in the water can precipitate and oxidize to create a perfectly clear, but green water.

That aside, who would dye their water? That's just nutz!
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

5. Back To Top    #5

Ask the owner for the name of the dye used. I agree with above posts, either to pool surface is giving the water a green tint or it's metals or algae. Typical pool dye dissipates after a few days.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you all for your kind and prompt responses.

I will investigate this a bit further. My suspicion is that the pool was surfaced in such a way as to create a green tint to the water. On top of that I suspect some degree of algae-- it just looks too cloudy.
    Desperately seeking pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

Liar liar pants on fire should be the title of this one!

It is possible but seems false. Cloudy is a major red flag!

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump