Chose a pump

Nov 5, 2012
My pump has rusted out and shorted. The pool / pump is around 6 years old and rusted out because when I remove the filter cartridge the salt water hit the pump. I am shopping for a replacement but have heard that most pumps do not last more than 2-3 years now because they are not made in the USA? Is that a true expectation?

Also, I want to be sure I have the right size pump. It came with a 1 ½ hp Hayward model K48MZN110. I was told Hayward doesn’t make the pumps anymore and the place I was thinking of using used Marathon pumps. Are they acceptable pumps?

Lastly, I believe my average electric cost of running the pump is around $100.00 or more and wondered what options I could use to reduce that?

Melbourne, Florida
18000 gallons in 15’ x 30’ pool
Cartridge filter
In ground plaster pool
1 ½ hp pool pump
Pool is 6 years old

Welcome to TFP!!!

First your questions:
I do not think a 2-3 year turn over on the motor is a true expectation.
I do not know anything about Marathon pumps, but someone else may be able to offer info.
The cost of running a pool pump has many variables, so an "average" does not make sense. Depends on size of you pump, hours you run it, and your electrical cost. I would "guess" most people are paying less than $50/mo for a simple pool setup.

Can you provide some more information about your current pump? I do not find that model number anywhere online.

What type of cleaner do you use?
Do you have any high flow water needs? Spa? Water feature? Solar?
If not, then the 1.5 HP may be larger than you need. A smaller pump will use less electricity. Also, going with a 2-speed pump could save quite a bit of money on electricity. On low speed it pumps half the flow rate for 1/4 the cost. So even with running on low for double the run time on high (to move the same amount of water), the electrical cost would be 1/2.

If you can provide some more information (maybe some pictures of the equipment), then we can come up with better recommendations.

Thanks for the info Jason.
I have a Hayward cleaner and I do have 6 solar heater panels on the roof which I do run part of the year.
Sorry, I didn’t mean to but I did give bad information though. The $100.00 a month is actually what I think my total costs are for running the pool.
I figure over half of that is the electricity.
I only run my pool 5-6 hours a day though. More during the summer months but a little less in the off season.
I look forward to finding out more about the Marathon pumps. I am at work but will be checking into it tonight at home.
Also, I will get some pictures of the equipment..

Regards, Dan

Are you sure it's Marathon pumps? Are you perhaps thinking of Marathon Motors? http://marathonmotors.reachlocal.com/?s ... =369744995

We use alot of these motors for industrial purposes,they work great.If you could find the correct voltage,phase,frame,shaft size,rpm,hp and Nema rating,Marathon would work well.One draw back would be it may cost more than a comparable A.O. Smith,Hayward motor,depends on your supply source.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.