Why leave the system 'open'

Sep 21, 2011
This is my first year closing our pool. I've removed all the plugs, drained the various parts, blown out the lines, installed plus in the returns, etc... What I'm trying to figure out, however, is why I would wait until spring to reconnect the pipes. I had a pro do it last year (we were brand new to it), and he left everything open like this, but this seems as though it would invite the possibility of water, bugs, worms, even small animals getting into the system.

So, what is the reason for leaving the pipes open for the winter?

mickeyfan0805 said:
This is my first year closing our pool. I've removed all the plugs, drained the various parts, blown out the lines, installed plus in the returns, etc... What I'm trying to figure out, however, is why I would wait until spring to reconnect the pipes. I had a pro do it last year (we were brand new to it), and he left everything open like this, but this seems as though it would invite the possibility of water, bugs, worms, even small animals getting into the system.

So, what is the reason for leaving the pipes open for the winter?

A picture might help. It's normal (as I understand it) to leave out the drain plugs - I assume this is to ensure that if any water makes it in - it can get out. I'm not sure where your "pipes" are open. The advice I was given was to take the drain plugs from filter and pump and stick them in my pump basket. Some type of anti-sieze compound was recommended for the threads of the plugs and the holes but other than that - nothing else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.