Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why leave the system 'open'

1. Back To Top    #1

Why leave the system 'open'

This is my first year closing our pool. I've removed all the plugs, drained the various parts, blown out the lines, installed plus in the returns, etc... What I'm trying to figure out, however, is why I would wait until spring to reconnect the pipes. I had a pro do it last year (we were brand new to it), and he left everything open like this, but this seems as though it would invite the possibility of water, bugs, worms, even small animals getting into the system.

So, what is the reason for leaving the pipes open for the winter?
    Pool details:

18x36 Vinyl In-Ground pool
    25,000-30,000 gallons (estimate, will know more when I can get in and get an average depth)
    DE filter
    Pump info unknown - I'll get that soon!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why leave the system 'open'

We don't close here, but from what I've read on the forum, that is unusual. I don't think there would be any harm in putting some plugs in.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Why leave the system 'open'

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan0805
    This is my first year closing our pool. I've removed all the plugs, drained the various parts, blown out the lines, installed plus in the returns, etc... What I'm trying to figure out, however, is why I would wait until spring to reconnect the pipes. I had a pro do it last year (we were brand new to it), and he left everything open like this, but this seems as though it would invite the possibility of water, bugs, worms, even small animals getting into the system.

So, what is the reason for leaving the pipes open for the winter?
    A picture might help. It's normal (as I understand it) to leave out the drain plugs - I assume this is to ensure that if any water makes it in - it can get out. I'm not sure where your "pipes" are open. The advice I was given was to take the drain plugs from filter and pump and stick them in my pump basket. Some type of anti-sieze compound was recommended for the threads of the plugs and the holes but other than that - nothing else.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump