Pool Color (Midnight Blue/Dark Blue Vs Black)

mnittler

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2012
South Texas
I am at that the point on pool construction where I need to decide on in-ground pool color. What are your opinions on Midnight blue/Dark Blue or Black? Pro & Cons of color selection. I am going with a pebble finish. :roll:

mnittler:

I think the color is a matter of personal preference. However, given the choices you presented, I would go with the blue over the black. The darker finishes will keep the pool water warmer than a lighter color surface but that may or may not be what you are going for in South Texas. Another thing to consider is resale. Most people prefer a more traditional lighter color pool surface that has a bluish color to it. While the dark/midnight blue is a dark shade of blue, it would at least have a bluish color that appeals to most people.

The pebble finish will provide a bit more durability over plain plaster at the expense of a slightly rougher surface.

Have to agree with it being your choice, we purchased our pool in Australian Blue. We have a friend with white and I can't imagine having that color. His pool is beautiful but not our color choice.
A bit darker than the traditional Blues, we love the water color. I had considered an even darker blue (closer to blackish) but felt it might be too dark and really increase the pool temp too much.

Darker color pools look great but there is one thing to be aware of as far as safety goes. Darker colored pools, especially black can distort the appearance of the pool to make it look deeper than it actually is. This can lead to people hurting themselves due to jumping or diving into the shallower parts of the pool expecting it to be deeper. Though with a pebble finish this effect is lessened so you're probably fine :)

We went with the Dark Blue colored 1" tile with black grout for the Spa, beach landing, and tile line.
The Pool finish is Wet Edge Technologies pebble finish Black Magic with a little abalone added.
I was amazed that you can clearly see detail on the bottom of the pool.

Attachments

• IMG_0762.jpg
    IMG_0762.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_0848.jpg
    IMG_0848.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 368
Reactions: NickCYC
I think the darker color/warmer water is one of those pool myths. Read a study somewhere a long time ago that showed there was little impact once the depth of water exceeded a few inches. There are probably some engineers on this site that could explain this.

Nice design and love the color as well~I'll have to agree that the finish has a negligible effect on pool water temp. Comparing my neigbors white plaster pool to my midnight blue finish, the temps are within 1deg. My guess would be that water temps are affected much more by placement; sun/shade/evaporation..and even more by use (which leads to evap/cool water top-off)....but then again I'm not a rocket-scientist :?
I'll also agree that a pool in SE Texas is gonna be REEL warm and you gotta have a way to cool it down ~ This is my next purchase http://glacierpoolcoolers.com/?page=residential
:cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.