Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Obtaining Borate drop test reagents

1. Back To Top    #1

Obtaining Borate drop test reagents

Hi -

The web page for Piscines Apollo indicates they won't ship their borate test to the US. I know the lamotte test strip could be used, but I'd like to use a drop based version if possible. It seems like it could be replicated with mannitol and Bromthymol blue. Does anyone have a suggestion for where to obtain these reagents in the USA? Do they have specific concentrations? Is the amount of mannitol critical (spoon size)?
    Central MA Area
    24K kidney
    salt, DE

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Obtaining Borate drop test reagents

Taylor has a test kit http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... KitID=2583

The numbering is different, but they do sell two different reagent refills, also.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

S-0009 is Bromothymol blue indicator dye while S-0010 is powdered mannitol. Neither are listed as hazardous materials so I don't know what restrictions they are referring to, but they do say here the following:

**Because of US postal restrictions, we are no longer able to ship this product to the USA**
    I've written to them about it so we'll see what they say.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick replies - didn't know about the Taylor test. The instructions aren't online, so I don't know how easy it is to perform, relatively.

I'm also curious about the postal reg issue, thanks for inquiring.

I like the idea of reusing k-200x reagents for economy.
    Central MA Area
    24K kidney
    salt, DE

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Taylor has a test kit http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... KitID=2583

The numbering is different, but they do sell two different reagent refills, also.
    That's a kit for a colorimeter. The Taylor K-1541 is the drop-based test kit but it is very expensive and too sensitive for what is needed to measure to within 10 ppm. The Taylor test measures within 0.2 or 0.5 ppm so would take a lot of reagent for testing 50 ppm (the instructions only go up to 5-15 ppm).

I got a response from Apollo Pools and apparently someone told them they couldn't ship liquids via USPS, but that isn't true. I've sent them the requirements from USPS. For their small non-hazardous non-flammable < 4 fluid ounce liquid volumes it just requires screw-top bottles which they are using and an exterior label of "Fragile:Liquid" and identifying the liquid contents. We'll see what they say. They only stopped shipping to the U.S. a couple of months ago after someone warned them not to send liquids via USPS.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes I have removed the restrictions from the site - thanks for clearing that up Richard.

7. Back To Top    #7

Since we are on the topic of the borate drop test, I cannot get the sample to turn yellow after adding S-009 reagent. I follow the instructions but the addition of S-009 doesn't cause the sample to turn yellow. That said, I can continue on following the instructions and everything else works fine, sample turns yellow with the powder, and I get the expected result. But do we have any ideas why I don't get yellow early on as the instructions indicate I should?

Thanks.

15x30 inground concrete pool w/spa and spillover, all under screen enclosure
    Hayward C1200 StarClear Plus Cartridge Filter and Hayward Navigator V-Flex
    Jandy AquaPure 1400, Laars LX400 propane heater w/120 gal above-ground tank
    Jandy VS FloPro 2.7 HP Pump VSFHP270JEP; FlowVis FV-C Flow Meter
    Jandy iAquaLink and OneTouch controller w/PDA remotes; JVA for draining pool

8. Back To Top    #8

I got the kit and it was useful - I had thought using "capfuls" of gentle spa was inaccurate, and retrospectively, indeed it was. I will use a scale going forward. I am happy with the test kit. On a slightly related note, you can add me to the list of folks who saw a non trivial pH rise after adding Gentle Spa.

HofstraJet - Sorry, I don't know the answer as to why your test doesn't turn yellow until you add the powder.
    Central MA Area
    24K kidney
    salt, DE

9. Back To Top    #9

It looks like this kit is not available on the website anymore. Anyone know what the deal is?

Steve
    25,000 gallon saltwater in-ground pool with in-floor cleaners. Medium lagoon plaster. Jandy pump and heater and Glacier Pool chiller. Use iRobot Verro pool cleaner.

10. Back To Top    #10

Liability insurance.
    We're working on it.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by CaOCl2
    Liability insurance.
    We're working on it.
    Wow, thanks for the quick response. I hope you guys get this resolved. It looks like a great kit.

Steve
    25,000 gallon saltwater in-ground pool with in-floor cleaners. Medium lagoon plaster. Jandy pump and heater and Glacier Pool chiller. Use iRobot Verro pool cleaner.

12. Back To Top    #12

For Future Info: Amazon lists (as of 6/14) both bromothymol blue and mannitol powder in small pkgs for about $10 each.