Anyone found a way to 'seal' the edge of an automatic cover?

Aug 6, 2012
I have an automatic cover that I love, but at then shallow end there is a 3/8 gap where the bar bows across the 20 foot opening. Has anyone found an idea or product to seal this edge? I keep getting debris that I'd rather not. I have seen an indivual who used a garage door edge weatherstripping, but the look was less than appealing.

Love to hear any thoughts or suggestions.

Re: Anyone found a way to 'seal' the edge of an automatic co

Our pool cover company recommends a flap for that purpose -- something attached to the cover that you flop over the gap (it's weighted at the end that flops over). Of course, that's extra manual work needed every time you open or close the cover. We didn't go that route because of the extra work. Our gap tends to be small at usually less than 1" and often less than 1/2". Your idea would be better in that it's automatic.

Re: Anyone found a way to 'seal' the edge of an automatic co

I'm not sure what they're called exactly. But you could use a rubber sweep, just a slightly curved semi thick piece of rubber that's tapered at the end.
They are used on sliding screen doors to fill the gap between the glass and the screen frame as it slides back and forth.
Not sure if they make them long enough for your needs, but I can bet if you look hard enough you'll find it in a bulk, uncut spool from the factory.
If not, just use a few of them end to end.
It'll be completely automatic and very nice and professional looking.

You could also use those fuzzy strips too, the ones that are like a long, thin, soft nylon fiber broom. They're a dust strip or something along those lines.
They're used on doors that open over hard flooring surfaces, often in shops and industrial settings.
This type wouldn't be as hard of a barrier as the rubber, but it would still keep nearly all of the big stuff out. Depending on how long you made it, the surface type it rests/slides on as well as wind forces directed under the cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.