New owner in Southlake, TX

Hello all. Great site we have here!

Recently purchased new-to-me house. Previous owners were very carefree :hammer: and the pool was practically decimated w algae when we moved in (i thought all the black stuff was part of the tiles' design). Pool was chlorine, changed to salt, now is back chlorine, which came as a surprise when the previous service showed up to take their SWG back. Very high CYA, but everything else has gotten on track. Paid an outrageous amount to a service for the first 2 mos of ownership to get it back to normal. DIY now for the last month, cleaned the filters yesterday. Wow!!! The dogs do a number on those things!

Looking forward to contributing when i can. Used to take care of pools as a kid, albeit 25 yrs ago.

Too Pool for School:

Welcome to TFP :wave:

You will be in good hands here if you ever need to post a question.

Sounds like you have stabilized everything with your pool and that CYA is the last battle remaining. If there are currently no water restrictions in Southlake, you might want to consider reducing the CYA now by doing a partial drain & refill. Use the Pool Calculator (link in my sig) to determine how much water you need to replace given your current CYA level and the desired target level. If you follow the methods taught on this forum, it may be the last partial drain & refill you will do for years and maybe for as long as you own the pool.

As you go forward with the BBB method, you will find that you can have a pool that is the envy of the neighborhood without costing you an arm & a leg. I just completed my first full year on BBB and here's my post on the results: http://www.troublefreepool.com/bbb-saved-me-over-1-400-in-the-first-full-year-t54033.html