question on how to get from shock level to daily level

jws13

Jun 16, 2012
I had a little algae and cloudy water so I shocked it using the tables I found here and now everything looks good and my FC is holding steady overnight and I have 0 CC. My question is do I just let my FC level drift down from the shock level (FC=20) to the daily CC level (FC=6)?

You don't say where you are, so unless your water is really cold Chem Geek is spot on. Well of course he is, he's our resident expert. :D
But if your water is pretty cold, it can take a while.

Took mine about 2-3 weeks to go from FC 12+ to 3ppm, with no cover and full sun, but some cloudy, partly cloudy days in there. It does get super cold at night here in the winter and the water goes down to the low 50's overnight and into the upper 50's, sometimes low 60's during the day.

Aside from that extreme, it could easily happen in just a few days, give/take a day. Depending on your climate.

I just looked at your other threads, sounds like you're really getting a handle on your pool with the BBB method.
Can I ask how come you're shocking it again, since adopting the BBB method?

And just to verify, an FC of 20ppm would be shock level for 50ppm CYA. I have seen you quote in your other posts 50-60ppm CYA. Have you dropped down to a good 50ppm since then, either through evaporation and filling or other means?
Lastly, you passed all the testing criteria, save for your water clarity of which you don't mention. Is it crystal clear, like glass. Like the pool looks almost empty at night and/or during the day. Right?

We are in Houston, so not so cool, maybe 60's at night and 70-80's during days.. Had to shock due to being out of town and had turned on teh tablet chlorinator, but I guess not enough.. Got the CYA down by some additional draining and yes the water is very clear.

Thanks for asking

Take notes as it comes down. You can learn a lot about your pool needs. I am in the Beaumont area right down the street. You will learn the average drop for a given day "temp, sun, clouds". Unless you need to leave it for a long time you could bring your FC up higher and it will naturally fall while your away. Then you can totally stay away from the pucks unless you need to bring your CYA up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.