Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What's the Italian for Polyquat?...

1. Back To Top    #1

What's the Italian for Polyquat?...

Here is the correspondence I am having here in Italy trying to get my hands on some Polyquat 60:

Question:

Please let me have the long-form chemical name of the product and concentration to check if it is exactly what I need. I am looking for : "Poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride" at 60% concentration.

Many Thanks and Best Regards,

Answer:

This is the chemical formel and concentration of our Algeacide non foaming for Swimming Pools

9 % Poli (dimetilammina-epicloridrina copolimero) in water solution
    (-(Cl)N(CH3)2-CH2-CH(OH)-CH2-)n

I'm guessing that this is indeed Polyquat, but can somebody who knows (chem geek?) confirm? I am also concerned about the '9%' as opposed to '60%' concentration. This stuff is quite expensive , about 125 USD for 25 litres (5 gallons).
    I want to use it as I am not going to be near the pool for some months over winter so can't guarantee FC levels but I'm going for a Loop Loc solid cover and algaecide in a determined attempt at "opening clear" next spring, is this a foolish hope?
    160,000 litres (42,000 U.S. galls) 15 x 7 metres (53 x 23 feet) hybrid. Concrete floor, glass fibre walls. 1.5 HP Tifon pump, 150 kg (330lb) sand filter. Free form shape (not a straight edge in sight) 30 years old.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What's the Italian for Polyquat?...

That isn't the Polyquat you are looking for. What they are giving you is this Polyquat (and note that this is around 60% concentration) which has the same name but is a different chemical. The chemical structure for the one that you want is shown in this link. You might show that link to them so that they can better understand what you are looking for, and preferably in 60% concentration.

Now they claim that their algaecide is non-foaming and is presumably effective so it might be OK, but we don't have any experience with it. Goggle (with some mods from me) translates "?Poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride" in English to "????Poli [ossietilene (dimetilammina) etilene (dimetilammina) etilene dichloro]" in Italian.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Many thanks again for clear, detailed and actionable advice. I wasn't confident of 'machine translation' of an exact chemical name, but it seems right.
    I will ask again but I fear that this is all they have at this particular supplier. If the quoted type of Polyquat at 9% concentration is all I can get, can I assume that dosage is pro-rata to the 60 % mentioned here in many posts?

Thanks again from Bella Italia
    160,000 litres (42,000 U.S. galls) 15 x 7 metres (53 x 23 feet) hybrid. Concrete floor, glass fibre walls. 1.5 HP Tifon pump, 150 kg (330lb) sand filter. Free form shape (not a straight edge in sight) 30 years old.

4. Back To Top    #4

You would need to follow their dosage recommendations, but with only 9% concentration of active ingredient, it'll be a lot more than the 9 ounces initial and 3 ounces weekly per 10,000 gallons that is typical for Polyquat 60.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Il polquatto sessanta?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

mille grazie per il suggerimento molto utile...