Leaking multiport valve - question on best course of action

Nov 2, 2012
I have a dual leak question/issue/problem that I could use some advice on.

1. Multiport valve has water leaking out the top I believe. It is a substantial amount of water too. I believe it is coming out from the handle area and dripping down. Not sure if I should take apart and try to diagnose then buy parts, absolutely call a pro, or just buy a new valve or just valve cover and assembly. The washer or plate under the handle has a lip and that is always full of water and I can see streaks and drips below it.

2. I've had a usually slow leak issue for a long time. It varies on how strong the leak is. Basically water is oftentimes draining out slowly from the backwash pipe. After I backwash/rince/waste the leak is usually at its strongest. Usually I'm losing a couple inches a day. Other times I'm lucky and it slows to a dribble. I looked into it once and came away believing that was a bad washer, but I'd prefer a more educated opinion. I also figured since I have to do repair now it would be great if I could eliminate both problems at once.

I could use some help with the best course of action. I live in a fairly remote place where any parts will be either hard to get or expensive. I'm willing to spend but I want to make sure I'm not just throwing darts at the problem. I appreciate any help or advice.

Particulars
17,500 gallon pool
Roughly 18' long, 12' wide, and 5'5" deep. It's asymmetrical so that's far from exact and I'm not using my notes for those measurements.
1HP pump
Sta Rite multiport valve wc112-148
Not sure how many gallons the filter is or if it is sand or DE as it came this way when I bought it.

Bonus question - How hard would it be to change the sand/de? It's been over 6 years and I imagine the whole system will run more smoothly if I'm able to do this.

Re: Leaking multiport valve - question on best course of act

With any kind of luck at all, it's probably just the spider gasket under the valve that needs replacing. You might get REAL lucky and just have to grease it if it has no flat or worn spots.

Most people never change their sand.

woodyp said:
With any kind of luck at all, it's probably just the spider gasket under the valve that needs replacing. You might get REAL lucky and just have to grease it if it has no flat or worn spots.

I appreciate the suggestion. I had read the spider gasket is often the culprit. The big question I think I would like feedback on is how difficult it is to diagnose the source of the problem once I have the handle and/or cover assembly disassembled? Also, any precautions I will need to take beforehand or for re-assembling?

If you have a new spider gasket in hand once you remove the top it is usually quite obvious the spider gasket is either worn or damaged. if its leaking out the handle there are usually backup washers on the stem that the handle connects to. im more familiar with hayward port valves though

I'd buy the valve rebuild kit and have it when you opoen the valve. It's highly likely that the spider gasket and seals are the problem. It's fairly easy to repair as well.

As for the bonus question. Since that valve is for a sand filter I'll assume you have a sand filter. If that's the case I would remove the valve and inspect the sand and of it looks to be about 2/3rds to 3/4ths full then I'd just clean and resettle it well according to the instructions Here.

Just going to reiterate to be very careful sticking things into the sand. You don't want to break a lateral. As long as you're careful you'll be fine cleaning it.

Bama Rambler said:
I'd buy the valve rebuild kit and have it when you opoen the valve. It's highly likely that the spider gasket and seals are the problem. It's fairly easy to repair as well.

Thank you. Based on your answer I will assume the spider gasket comes as part of the assembly or rebuild kit? Which I assume means this part. And I think I may have answered the gasket question based on one of the pics on that page.

If I may ask another questions, since I may be in need of changing the entire valve would it behoove me to look into an alternative brand?

Bama Rambler said:
As for the bonus question. Since that valve is for a sand filter I'll assume you have a sand filter. If that's the case I would remove the valve and inspect the sand and of it looks to be about 2/3rds to 3/4ths full then I'd just clean and resettle it well according to the instructions Here.

Just going to reiterate to be very careful sticking things into the sand. You don't want to break a lateral. As long as you're careful you'll be fine cleaning it.

Thank you. This is exactly what I needed. I'm in the unique position of being remote enough that I have to learn to service many of my appliances myself. It's always helpful to have an actual workflow on top of directions alone.

The parts you most likely need are 8, 12, 13 & 16. in this diagram. Which adds up to about $40 less than the plug & cover assembly. However, if the spring is broken or other parts are worn or broken you would have them if you just ordered the top works.

Shop around for prices, I found a lot of places cheaper than the place you linked.

Bama Rambler said:
The parts you most likely need are 8, 12, 13 & 16. in this diagram. Which adds up to about $40 less than the plug & cover assembly. However, if the spring is broken or other parts are worn or broken you would have them if you just ordered the top works.

Shop around for prices, I found a lot of places cheaper than the place you linked.

Thanks. The price issue for me is that I do not really have the ability to shop around. I live outside the US at the moment and if I even find more than one supplier I would have to drive a long distance to the alternative. Also, with taxes here whatever price I find is likely to be twice the price in the States. That's why I was asking about parts versus an entire assembly. I asked the local place to price me out the options as well as the difference between buying just the part/s or part/s plus installation. Those reasons were also why I was asking about the difficulty of the installation and if there is anything else I should consider while I have the valve off.

I noticed my valve and filter have been discontinued, but I imagine that shouldn't mean I will need an entirely new setup? The filter is Aqua Tools AT3124, but it's hard to find any documentation on that part online.

I just linked that site because it helped for explanation purposes.

I didn't realize you weren't in the US. I was just mentioning to shop around because I found a wide array of prices in the little looking I did.

If the options are limited where you are then replacing the entire valve might be a better option. Repair or replacement is not a difficult job. They have been discontinued but they have a valve replacement that's a direct bolt on.

Bama Rambler said:
I didn't realize you weren't in the US. I was just mentioning to shop around because I found a wide array of prices in the little looking I did.

No worries. I really appreciate your advice. I think you are correct about replacing the entire valve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.