Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Cover

Received my Solar Cover from Ebay/Poolsupplies the other day. MUCH smaller bubbles than I expected. Their pictures make them look big (like normal bubble wrap), these are like .25"... is that a normal solar cover size?

Cut "to fit" kidney shaped pool with 30% raised area, what a pain! Only a few feet ended up 2 or 3" from the wall; I may splice some strips to fix that (what's the best tape/glue?)

How "flat" is this supposed to lay? There are 2 seams, one is not real flat. A few bulging air pockets underneath, a few puddles of water on top. Just wondering what's "normal"?

Makes a great leaf and acorn collector! Not much of a solar collector this time of year, the suns behind a big oak tree most of the day (much more sun in the summer). I found that one of those long "feather" fan blade cleaners works well sweeping all the "junk" to one side for easy removal.

How often do ya'll check chemicals in winter with cover? Not that it's ever winter here in Austin... I've been adding 12 oz. Clorox each morning and checking weekly.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Cover

That is pretty small for the bubbles...the ones I've owned are probably 1/2" or so. I don't think there's a way to reliably glue together pieces of the material...several of us have tried, but without success. Mine never lies flat either, always with a few bubbles and puddles. The creases and seams will flatten out over time.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Solar cover actually is misnamed. The main benefit is to reduce heat lost to evaporation at night.

As for ways to join two parts... Seam tape may work.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_12187263_cover- ... anels.html

Sewing may work.

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not sure how big your cover is compare to mine, but I actually like having two pieces. They are smaller (but still huge) and much eaiser to pull off, put back on and stash off to the side.
    700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bart
    I'm not sure how big your cover is compare to mine, but I actually like having two pieces. They are smaller (but still huge) and much eaiser to pull off, put back on and stash off to the side.
    In this case they have a gap of a couple of inches on the side they want to fill. They could still cut the entire thing down the middle after and then have two parts.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump