Cleaned Filters and Pressure Didn't Drop

Sep 1, 2011
I have a Hayward cartridge filter. I just did my first cleaning, the filters were very dirty, lots of sand etc., I cleaned them very well, soaked overnight in TSP, then cleaned/rinsed again, there was piles of sand/debri after cleaning, they were a completely differnt color. My question is, my system was running right at 20psi prior to cleaning, and is still running the same after cleaning. I as expecting a substantial drop after all that. Is there something else I should be doing? The cartridges appear to be very clean now.

jamie1983 said:
I have a Hayward cartridge filter. I just did my first cleaning, the filters were very dirty, lots of sand etc., I cleaned them very well, soaked overnight in TSP, then cleaned/rinsed again, there was piles of sand/debri after cleaning, they were a completely differnt color. My question is, my system was running right at 20psi prior to cleaning, and is still running the same after cleaning. I as expecting a substantial drop after all that. Is there something else I should be doing? The cartridges appear to be very clean now.

Is the pressure guage good? (It should drop to 0 when the pump is off)

I thought it was in the 10-15 range when it was first up and running. The gauge is good, goes to 0. I do not have a spa. It dropped a little 3-4psi when I cleaned...I just expected a more substantial drop. Is 20psi high? Will that hurt the system or is that an ok range.

Your last post and first post seem contradictory. The first says you got no drop in pressure by cleaning and the last says you got 3-4psi drop by cleaning.

Either way, I think it is typical for the equipment to have a max pressure rating around 50psi ... 20psi is nothing to worry about.

Sorry prior to cleaning it was around 20..I'd say maybe 23...now after running a few days it seems to have settle around 20. So I've seen a slight drop, but not quite what I was expecting. Glad it's nothing to worry about.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.