Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaned Filters and Pressure Didn't Drop

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaned Filters and Pressure Didn't Drop

I have a Hayward cartridge filter. I just did my first cleaning, the filters were very dirty, lots of sand etc., I cleaned them very well, soaked overnight in TSP, then cleaned/rinsed again, there was piles of sand/debri after cleaning, they were a completely differnt color. My question is, my system was running right at 20psi prior to cleaning, and is still running the same after cleaning. I as expecting a substantial drop after all that. Is there something else I should be doing? The cartridges appear to be very clean now.
    15k freeform shotcrete sport pool 3.5-5-4, hayward swimclear c4030, 1.5hp hayward Northstar pump, polaris 280 with hayward booster, hayward turbo cell swg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cleaned Filters and Pressure Didn't Drop

What was the starting pressure before they got dirty?

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by jamie1983
    I have a Hayward cartridge filter. I just did my first cleaning, the filters were very dirty, lots of sand etc., I cleaned them very well, soaked overnight in TSP, then cleaned/rinsed again, there was piles of sand/debri after cleaning, they were a completely differnt color. My question is, my system was running right at 20psi prior to cleaning, and is still running the same after cleaning. I as expecting a substantial drop after all that. Is there something else I should be doing? The cartridges appear to be very clean now.
    Is the pressure guage good? (It should drop to 0 when the pump is off)
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you have a spa? for some reason my psi goes up almost 13pounds when i have it on spa mode, freaked me out first time i noticed.
    25k I/G ecostar ccplus Polaris plaster

5. Back To Top    #5

I thought it was in the 10-15 range when it was first up and running. The gauge is good, goes to 0. I do not have a spa. It dropped a little 3-4psi when I cleaned...I just expected a more substantial drop. Is 20psi high? Will that hurt the system or is that an ok range.
    15k freeform shotcrete sport pool 3.5-5-4, hayward swimclear c4030, 1.5hp hayward Northstar pump, polaris 280 with hayward booster, hayward turbo cell swg

6. Back To Top    #6

Your last post and first post seem contradictory. The first says you got no drop in pressure by cleaning and the last says you got 3-4psi drop by cleaning.

Either way, I think it is typical for the equipment to have a max pressure rating around 50psi ... 20psi is nothing to worry about.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry prior to cleaning it was around 20..I'd say maybe 23...now after running a few days it seems to have settle around 20. So I've seen a slight drop, but not quite what I was expecting. Glad it's nothing to worry about.