Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mesh Safety Cover - How Tight?

1. Back To Top    #1

Mesh Safety Cover - How Tight?

I have a mesh safety cover contoured to my kidney shaped pool with a set of steps on each end. The PB installed it last year and informed me to get the water level to about 15" before it snows. I did so and got 4 small dime sized holes in the mesh last year. I think this was from some water puddling on top and re-freezing. Other than that seemed ok.

This year I installed the cover and water is about 24" below right now. The cover clearly stretched a bit this year and is already pretty saggy almost touching the water. It looks like a trampoline when windy! Thoughts? Keep it loose? Tighten the springs up? Add water to 15" again?

Mike

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mesh Safety Cover - How Tight?

Tighten the springs. It should be flat with the deck all the way across when the cover is dry. Seems like mine had a length to compress the springs to. I don't understand how ice could have put holes in it unless it was flapping in the wind.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Ice didn't cause those holes. Holes are mostly from dragging the cover, insects(ants), or rodents. You must adhere to the 15" rule as having the level lower means when the water freezes the weight of the snow load will be solely upon the cover which is what causes damage (and will void warranty). The proper tension is typically 70-75% compression on springs. If it was a brand new cover you would use around 90% compression as the cover will relax a bit after installation. if your cover was solid ultra-loc you only use a 60% compression as the cover doesn't stretch much.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

4. Back To Top    #4

How do you set the compression? Confused? None of the springs are stretched.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mschmidt33
    Generally by tightening the straps before hooking the springs on the anchors
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    I was new to thus this year. Just start with a pair on opposite sides of the pool. Remove one strap on one side and adjust to take out an inch. Reattach and check the other side the same way. As you get the tension right the springs on both sides will be compressed more than halfway. Find another pair... Repeat.

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Don't you mean spring stretch vs. compressed? They are already fully compressed when unhooked.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    I was new to thus this year. Just start with a pair on opposite sides of the pool. Remove one strap on one side and adjust to take out an inch. Reattach and check the other side the same way. As you get the tension right the springs on both sides will be compressed more than halfway. Find another pair... Repeat.

Sent via Tapatalk...

8. Back To Top    #8

Don't you mean spring stretch vs. compressed? They are already fully compressed when unhooked.
    No, he had it right. When tension is put on the cover, the spring compresses instead of being stretched.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Here is a quick example of how springs look.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

10. Back To Top    #10

Guess I need to go take a look huh... thanks guys. Will tighten it up so its flat and fill water to 15"