Pentair Easy Touch 8 w/ wireless controller or Autelis?

Killer95Stang

Aug 17, 2012
Sunny SoCal
I'm in the middle of the quoting process for my new pool. One of the items that I originally did not plan on was an Automation system. I figured I could do without it to save some cash, then later on I could add it myself. But, as I go farther into the project, I realized that it would get very old to have to turn all the valves, switches ect... to use all the functions in my pool. I'm having a VS pump, Pentair Intellibrite color changing LED's, Water features, Spa built into my pool and SWG. Not to mention landscape lights and cleaning system. In the end, I figure forking over the extra cash upfront for the Easy Touch 8 system will be well worth it.

So here's the question, my PB put together a full Pentair SWG system for me that included the Easy Touch with wireless controller. I figure that controller alone is a $500.00 add-on. So would it be worth it to have him delete the controller from the build and just purchase the Autelis w/ wireless bridge for $330.00 and use my phone instead of the Pentair wireless controller? If I went ahead with the Pentair controller which wouldn't give me internet based control and then later added the Autelis, I would pretty much make the controller obsolete?

Thanks..

Correct. I don't have the Autelis system because they are in the process of updating/reengineering the outdoor wireless panel. So, I went with the ScreenLogic. The EasyTouch wireless controller now just sits on the bakers rack.

Since I got the ScreenLogic after the install, I programmed everything through the panel and wireless controller. This would have been a much easier process with the ScreenLogic. I believe the programming with the Autelis will be as easy. Hope this helps!!!

We have the Easytouch 8 with an Intellichlor that came with the kit. We also installed the wired control panel in the kitchen since I'd run CAT5e cables to the pool house (with the equipment installed behind the pool house). It is nice to have the remote panel, but I really don't use it much now. I did use it quite a bit to set up some of the parameters on the system, but most of this was done on the panel near the pool equipment. The Autelis makes scheduling much easier than from either the main panel or the remote panel, but there are several parameters that cannot be set from the Autelis (in particular the circuits and functions). However, the Autelis is great for controlling most things and works quite well. You really don't need a wired or wireless remote, esp. if you have the Autelis or the Screen Logic 2.

I think that is what I wanted to hear. Since the pool and equipment pad will be located about 50 ft from the house and would require saw cutting of existing concrete, I'm guessing that is why the PB is pushing the wireless over the remote mounted (cat5 required) unit. My PB hires an outside maintenance company to do his start-ups and pool school, so I'm guessing he has not heard of Autelis or at least has never used it. I think I'm leaning toward deleting that wireless unit and just installing the Autelis myself after the pool is complete.

Thanks again... Now for the next questions.. lol.

CraigMW said:
there are several parameters that cannot be set from the Autelis (in particular the circuits and functions). quote]

Craig, are you saying that I cant use the Autelis to trigger the extra configurable relays in the Easy Touch? That would really be the main reason for me to purchase one.

I dont care about programming the system, that can be done at the panel. I want the Autelis for turning on lights, waterfall, etc.
Thanks!

I just looked again at Autelis website again. It looks as though you can toggle all Aux relays on/off from the Equipment screen.
I believe I misunderstood Craig, and he is saying that you cannot CONFIGURE (program) the relays from Autelis, but you CAN control them, which is perfect with me.
I'm pretty well sold on the Autelis. I liken it to Android vs Apple. I dont care for Apples' proprietary nature. Open source=Good :)

Funny how you cite the Android vs. Apple battle, when comparing Pentair's software with Autelis. In our house, my wife and I pretty much have a piece of tape that runs across the house, separating us in that Android vs. Apple battle. I swear by my Android phone, PC computer (now with Windows 8) and my Asus Transformer Prime running on Icecream Sandwich. My wife has her Apple Iphone 4S and Ipad. Unfortunately for her, she's forced to use a PC workstation for her design work. Luckily I one won the car battle and got her into a Ford Flex, instead of a tree hugger Prius w/ apple sticker out back. :hammer:

I'm pretty much sold on the Autelis, but it looks like the wireless bridges are still sold out.

You could in theory use any wireless ethernet bridge, even an old router running Tomato or DD-WRT. The Autelis doesn't need much bandwidth, so the old router approach would be ideal. Hey, it might even be reason enough to go out and buy a new whiz-bang 802.11ac gigabit WiFi router! We have a mix of Apple, Android and Windows stuff. Windows desktop, Apple laptops and both of us with Android phones. Everything can talk with the Autelis, which is very cool. How do you like Win 8, BTW?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.