HELP !! high salt/high amps on goldline t15 cell

Oct 30, 2012
I have a warning "high salt/amps", which subsequently turns off my Chlorinator. The salt ppm shows 4500, I have had the water checked and it is 3300ppm. Looks like the sensor is faulty, which has been further confirmed by the salt reading rising rapidly fo rno apparent reason (3700 rising to 4500 in 24hrs). The Chlorine level on my pool is very good, so the cell still works fine, it just keeps getting switched off due to an 'apparent' high salt/amp reading. Anybody have a fix ?? Can you replace the salt sensor, rather than the very expensive chlorinator.
Thanks for any help/guidance.

Hi nwalker280,
Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Have you inspected and cleaned inside your cell?
The salt sensor can just get caked with too much calcium, of which a normal cleaning won't necessarily take care of.

If it's dirty and you catch the scale build up early, you can just hose it off with a high pressure wand. Always try to clean with water 1st. Remember to get up by where the cord enters the cell. This is where the salt sensor is.
If you can't get it clean using just water, then you have to do an acid soak.
Use 4 parts water to 1 part acid. Add the acid to the water, never the other way around.
If the cell is exceptionally scaled you can use a 3:1 solution, but never stronger than 2:1.

Pull the cell once it stops bubbling, do not let it sit in the acid solution longer than necessary. When it's done, pull it out then rinse it off.

Here is more detail on cleaning it. TURBO CELL CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS

Also, check your instant salt reading. It should be within about 500/600ppm of what your salt test kit, or test strips show. The more it drifts, the higher the indication that the cell is going bad.

See this link for how to perform the above checks.
High Salt Reading - Troubleshooting

I have never seen anything on replacing just the sensor inside the cell.
But that doesn't mean it can/can't be done.

Also, can you post a full set of test results for your pool? As well as what method you are using to test the salt yourself, aside from Leslies. What brand of test strips are you using?

T-15 does not have a salt "sensor". The controller calculates salt level from amps, volts and water temperature. If there is hot water coming from a heater or solar, it can sometimes trip the high salt level warning because the controller uses an average water temperature for the calculation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.