Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Attractive pool cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Attractive pool cover

I have a good quality black pool cover, but it is ugly.
    We thought of leaving the cover off for the winter, but cleaning out the leaves every day is more work than I realized.
    The transparent bubble solar covers are attractive but don't keep out leaves.
    I have looked on line but I can't find a good quality transparent cover that would look good and keep out the leaves. Does such a cover exist?
    36 x 18 oval pool, inground, plaster pool.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Attractive pool cover

I've never seen a transparent winter cover and the solar covers arent designed to take any load. If you don't want to cover it, you're best bet is to build a screen room over it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Safety covers are available in a variety of colors as well though none of them are transparent.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

This is the only thing that I can think of that may help you. http://www.allsafepool.com/pool-safety-net/ Please note though, that I had a customer who had this installed, they used it twice and now it sits in the garage. It's supposed to be a competitor to a child safety fence but when you compare the two the net is just an inferior design compared to a fence. They only used it twice because it's takes to long to put on and take off (about the amount of time a safety cover takes) . The customer now uses a child safety fence.

http://www.allsafepool.com/pool-safety-net/
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by X-PertPool
    This is the only thing that I can think of that may help you. http://www.allsafepool.com/pool-safety-net/ Please note though, that I had a customer who had this installed, they used it twice and now it sits in the garage. It's supposed to be a competitor to a child safety fence but when you compare the two the net is just an inferior design compared to a fence. They only used it twice because it's takes to long to put on and take off (about the amount of time a safety cover takes) . The customer now uses a child safety fence.

http://www.allsafepool.com/pool-safety-net/
    Wow, that just does not look safe to me. If the net has any stretch and a kid fell forward, seems like their arms would go right through the net resulting in their face being in the water. A toddler or even young child would not likely have the ability to try to pull their arms out or be able to roll themselves over onto their back ... shoot some adults would probably struggle as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow is right. Looks more dangerous than no cover at all. Get tangled in that and you might be in trouble.
    Intex Ultra Frame 26'x52"
    Intex 2,500 gal/hr pump with Unicel cartridge filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

It's pretty tight, from what I can remember the rope feels rigid like the plastic rope use in rope floats to section off the deep end of a pool. The customer asked me about it one day if I ever heard of it because it was on Oprah. I never seen or heard of it until the day I showed up and it was installed. Regardless it is dumb, why suspend a body over a pool when you can separate the child from the pool with a fence. Unless you have babies jumping off a roof into your pool there is no foreseeable advantage to the net in my eyes.

BTW the best part about the net is the reel it comes with. Looks so homemade (its made of pvc pipe furniture)
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't think the safety net would keep leaves out of the pool. The mesh looks too wide.
    36 x 18 oval pool, inground, plaster pool.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

9. Back To Top    #9

It's late in the day, I've been looking at my computer screen for hours, and my eyes aren't what they used to be. That said, ...

... I opened your thread with great interest, because I thought it said "Attractive pool owner."

Cheers!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.