Auto-Fill Installation Questions

Pudge

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Sep 3, 2012
North Louisiana
Howdy - and thanks so much for this wonderful resource! I've learned quite a bit from you nice folks in the 3 months since owning our pool and I really appreciate the help!

However, I still have questions about a lingering issue with the construction/completion of our pool - specifically the autofill feature. Our PB installed the feature, but "forget" to plumb it to a water supply. (They also forgot several other things, but that's another issue.)

To what should the the water supply line be connected? Our choices are an underground connection into the irrigation supply water or to a hose bibb on the side of the house. The former is more difficult to do while the latter is more unsightly as the bibb is next to a seating area and will be hard to hide. The PB suggests connecting it to the bibb, but I've lost that lovin' feeling with them and don't know if I trust anything they say anymore.

If connected to the underground source, I assume it's necessary to have a manual shut off available for maintenance purposes. Right?

Again - thanks so much!

The thing about connecting to an irrigation line it's that there is the remote possibility of fertilizer type products contaminating that water supply and then entering the pool. Remote possibility for sure, but there is a reason back flow preventers are required on the supply to the irrigation system so the house water is not contaminated.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thanks for the advice.

It looks like I'll have the PB install the water supply to the irrigation system (recognizing the remote possibility for lawn chemicals contaminating the pool supply water) and I'll have a manual shut off valve installed as well.

Thanks once more!

Our pool has a PoolMiser autolevel that is plumbed into the same water line that connects up to the sprinkler valve manifold. I was concerned about the potential backflow of contaminated water into the pool, and so I added PVC check valves onto the output of each valve (and on the line that goes to the pool miser below the T). This not only prevents potentially contaminated water from entering the pool, but it also prevents backflow into the valves (and big puddles) on those lines that are physically higher than the valve manifold. You can source these PVC check valves at HD or Lowes.

Yep - already figured on the check valves. In fact, have fired the PB in regards to the autofill system and have hired the job out to a plumber familiar with these issues. Might cost more up front, but the peace of mind will be worth it to me.

Thanks for all the advice - this forum is great!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.