Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Auto-Fill Installation Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Auto-Fill Installation Questions

Howdy - and thanks so much for this wonderful resource! I've learned quite a bit from you nice folks in the 3 months since owning our pool and I really appreciate the help!

However, I still have questions about a lingering issue with the construction/completion of our pool - specifically the autofill feature. Our PB installed the feature, but "forget" to plumb it to a water supply. (They also forgot several other things, but that's another issue.)

To what should the the water supply line be connected? Our choices are an underground connection into the irrigation supply water or to a hose bibb on the side of the house. The former is more difficult to do while the latter is more unsightly as the bibb is next to a seating area and will be hard to hide. The PB suggests connecting it to the bibb, but I've lost that lovin' feeling with them and don't know if I trust anything they say anymore.

If connected to the underground source, I assume it's necessary to have a manual shut off available for maintenance purposes. Right?

Again - thanks so much!
    22K Plaster IG - Installed 8-2012
    Pentair 1.5HP Pump - Sand Filter
    Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Auto-Fill Installation Questions

If it were me I'd want it connected to the underground source. My house has a side connection coming off of one of my hose bibs and it is a constant eyesore that bugs me.

3. Back To Top    #3

And yes, you are correct that it should have a manual shutoff.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

The thing about connecting to an irrigation line it's that there is the remote possibility of fertilizer type products contaminating that water supply and then entering the pool. Remote possibility for sure, but there is a reason back flow preventers are required on the supply to the irrigation system so the house water is not contaminated.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the advice.

It looks like I'll have the PB install the water supply to the irrigation system (recognizing the remote possibility for lawn chemicals contaminating the pool supply water) and I'll have a manual shut off valve installed as well.

Thanks once more!
    Polaris 280

6. Back To Top    #6

Our pool has a PoolMiser autolevel that is plumbed into the same water line that connects up to the sprinkler valve manifold. I was concerned about the potential backflow of contaminated water into the pool, and so I added PVC check valves onto the output of each valve (and on the line that goes to the pool miser below the T). This not only prevents potentially contaminated water from entering the pool, but it also prevents backflow into the valves (and big puddles) on those lines that are physically higher than the valve manifold. You can source these PVC check valves at HD or Lowes.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yep - already figured on the check valves. In fact, have fired the PB in regards to the autofill system and have hired the job out to a plumber familiar with these issues. Might cost more up front, but the peace of mind will be worth it to me.

Thanks for all the advice - this forum is great!
    Polaris 280