Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aqua Rite resister keeps going bad.

1. Back To Top    #1

Aqua Rite resister keeps going bad.

I lost all of my lights on my chlorine generator. The resistor was blown and I replaced it. Seemed to work fine afterwards, but then the lights all went out again. Replaced the resistor again and the same thing happened. Does anyone know what would cause this?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aqua Rite resister keeps going bad.

Did you mean you are replacing the fuse?
    22'x40' IG, Freeform, 26K gal, Vinyl liner pool(2011), three returns plus two step jets, one slide, two skimmers, two LED lights, Stamped Concrete with Aqua PL-Plus Automation panel, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter 500lb, Hayward Turbo Cell T-Cell 15 (SWG) Smart Pool Scrubber60 Robotic Pool Vac.

3. Back To Top    #3

Assuming your cell is good, these sites might be of some help.

No Cell Power - A Simple Solution

Repairing My Aquarite PCB

How To Test The Control Box

The last one is in French, but has very useful info. So it's worth it to take the time to use Google translate. translate.google.com
    However, the formatting is all wonky and it overlays the images such that they cover the text when you translate it. I'd suggest copying the text in its untranslated original language. Then translate that in Google Translate.
    Just copy it all and dump it in, it'll retain the formatting; paragraph structure, wrapping, etc..
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

4. Back To Top    #4

It is the inrush transistor that I have replaced twice, the black quarter size thing. Works for a short while then all lights go out.

5. Back To Top    #5

Find a pool store to have your cell tested on their unit. Many stores offer this. You can also inspect the harness too.

EDIT: Have you ever by chance added salt directly to the skimmer?
    Also, do you have a full set of numbers you can post for your pool, including salt & CYA?

BTW, it looks like no one properly welcomed you to the forum.
    So...

Hello Jear789,
    Welcome to TFP.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

6. Back To Top    #6

Repeatedly burning out the MOV is usually a sign of bad power or lightning close by. If spikes are your problem, you could put a whole house protector on your service and that should help.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Note that there is a new transistor being used that is more heavy duty. If you replace the larger transistor with the older style, it won't perform properly.

Other possible issues. A large heater sending excessively hot water into the cell can spike current levels. Adding chemicals to the pool while the cell is on can also cause excessive current spikes. Especially if the chemicals are added to the skimmer, or over the main drain.