Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aqualink RS4 w/ PDA - adding circuits

1. Back To Top    #1

Aqualink RS4 w/ PDA - adding circuits

Hi,
    I have a newly installed Aqualink RS4 with PDA. The PCB has the capacity to run the filter pump and 3 aux relays. Currently they're wired to
    AUX1 - water feature pump (sheer descent)
    AUX2 - pool light
    AUX3 - spa light.

I want to add some landscape lighting and have it hooked into my automation system. With the RS4 - I don't have the capacity to add more controlled relays. I gather I can use a relay splitter but why wouldn't I use one of the following options instead?

1) Splice the pool lights and spa light together on a single relay. Freeing a relay for my landscape lights
    2) Splice the pool and landscape lights onto a single relay.

I'm guessing local codes (I'm in San Diego) dictate what I can do here? I know I'm limiting what I can switch on/off in isolation but I'm thinking I could live with just turning on the landscape lights when the pool light is on.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!
    22,000 gallon IG
    Pebbletec
    Spa with spillover
    FusionSoft1400 salt generator
    Jandy variable speed pump
    Jandy RS4 with PDA
    Aqualink power center

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aqualink RS4 w/ PDA - adding circuits

I do not think there is a problem with doing either of the options you described assuming the load is still acceptable for the breaker size. The landscaping lights likely need to be on a GFCI also anyway.

I am not sure if there are codes related to running multiple circuits off the relays, but I would think it is fine (your responsibility to check of course). How is it different from having multiple lights on the same switch? In fact, I would guess most (well many anyway) pools have the pool and spa lights on the same circuit and switch anyway.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by ladsjohn
    Hi,
    I have a newly installed Aqualink RS4 with PDA. The PCB has the capacity to run the filter pump and 3 aux relays. Currently they're wired to
    AUX1 - water feature pump (sheer descent)
    AUX2 - pool light
    AUX3 - spa light.

I want to add some landscape lighting and have it hooked into my automation system. With the RS4 - I don't have the capacity to add more controlled relays. I gather I can use a relay splitter but why wouldn't I use one of the following options instead?

1) Splice the pool lights and spa light together on a single relay. Freeing a relay for my landscape lights

I'm guessing local codes (I'm in San Diego) dictate what I can do here? I know I'm limiting what I can switch on/off in isolation but I'm thinking I could live with just turning on the landscape lights when the pool light is on.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!
    You should be able to do either one of your options, without being concerned about codes.
    Also, be advised that the only difference between a PDA-4 and a PDA-8 is the chip on the motherboard.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

4. Back To Top    #4

[quote="ladsjohn"]Hi,
    quote]

ladsjohn,
    If you ever elect to go to colored lights, such as the Jandy LED Watercolors, you should be aware that the color and “light show” on the lights are "programmed" by the Aqualink by repeatedly cycling power to the lights in fixed number of times and power on/off durations. Having both the pool and spa lights on the same relay synchronize the lights so they are the same color. If you had the landscape lights also on that same relay, the landscape lights would flash on and off for a few seconds at whenever you changed the color of the pool/spa lights. Probably not good for the landscape light bulbs to flash on/off unnecessarily. Of course, if you don't plan to use the colored pool/spa lights, then this is a non-issue.
    Mike
    ~17' x 34' IG pool with attached spa - 20500 gallons - Gunite with a "pebblesheen"-ish finish
    Jandy iAqualink with iPad and Jandy PDA remote - Pentair IntelliFlo VS 11018 Pump
    AquaRite SWCG - Pentair SMBW 4060 DE Filter - Really Old Raypak heater
    "Wall-E" an Arneson-Hayward Navigator - A couple of Jandy/Zodiac WaterColors LED Lights - Blue-White F-1000 Flow meter