using a SWG with Endlesspools Fastlane

Oct 10, 2012
HI,
I'm building a gunite pool and intend to install a Fastlane and SWG system. The Endless pool warranted says:

"Placing a Fastlane in a pool which is sanitized using a salt-chlorine generator creates increased risk of a hydraulic system failure and oil leaks.

Any Fastlane placed in this type of environment must be properly bonded, and water chemistry must be closely monitored. As stated in our warranty, pH levels must be maintained between 7.4 and 7.8, total alkalinity between 80 and 120 ppm, salt chlorine levels of 4000 ppm, and total dissolved solids below 7000 ppm. Failure to properly bond the Fastlane or maintain proper water chemistry will void the warranty."

Can anyone share their experience with maintaining the Fastlane in a SWG pool? Is it reasonable to maintain the above chemistry levels using a SWG? Are there any automated chemistry systems that work with SWGs to maintain the proper levels in a pool?

Thanks in advance.
Ken

If those are the stpulations, they're not far from the recommended levels we normally suggest for a swg pool here. You don't need an automated chemistry system to maintain those levels. A good test kit and some frequent testing is all you need. We recommend testing once a day in the begining and every other day once you've completely learned the personality of your pool.

Hi,
You can see my build thread here:
building-my-own-pool-in-north-jersey-t54107.html
The fastlane is installed and working. Regarding chemistry, the salt level is easy to maintain. I think I added 680 lbs. of salt in the beginning for a ~28000 gallon pool. Salinity was ~3800 ppm at first and has dropped off to about 3200 for over a month now and is stable. As with any newly plastered pool the PH was consistently over 8.2. I kept adding muriatic acid all summer at the recommendation of my local pool store. Its now down to about 7.8, but still need to add acid to keep it there. Alkalinity has been in the 80-150 range with the last reading 120. Overall, just simple chemistry and just a matter of testing and adding the appropriate chemicals. I guess I won't know the long term effects of a salt pool on the equipment for at least a few years. i did install a sacrificial anode in the plumbing after the filter pump to supplement the anode wired to the Fastlane unit.
I'm not sure I would have done the SWG system knowing what I know now. You can just add some salt to make the water feel "soft" and then use chlorine tablets. That way you don't have to run a high concentration of salt. The Pentair SWG will not work if it senses a salt concentration below ~2800 ppm.
Please ask if you have any more questions.
Ken

Thanks Ken,

Beautiful pool build by the way. And thanks for the detailed answer regarding the chemistry.
As you may know, the Fastlane reps are saying they strongly recommend changing their underwater hoses ($350) and motor ($525) every 2 years if installing in a salt water pool.
I find that hard to swallow and was curious if you had any different views on that. I am hoping they are being overly cautious.
Also, how is the fastlane on your electric bill? Does it make much of an impact?

I look at it this way, if a hose or the hydraulic motor fails, what's the worst that will happen? Vegetable oil in your pool? I think that will float, so easy to clean up. I'd say overly cautious.
I don't plan on replacing them until they fail. I do plan on removing it for the winter when I close the pool.
I will look at the utility cost increase this year to see how much its costing me to heat and run the pool, but don't expect the fastlane to be a huge cost. Of course, no way to quantify the cost of just the fastlane, but I can see how much the electric bill increased from last year overall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.