Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often to pump water off winter cover?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chicago, IL

How often to pump water off winter cover?

How frequently do you all do this? I closed a couple of weeks ago and have pumped (well siphoned actually) off water twice. My concern being that as rain accumulates it adds more and more weight to the cover, and will continue to push water up the walls or eventually tear the cover. I did leave a fair amount of slack to allow for this to some degree, but not sure if I am being overly paranoid. Do I have more of a safety margin than I suspect?
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: How often to pump water off winter cover?

I pump (or siphon) it off whenever it gets a good bit on it. It'll stand a lot more than you think it will.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Montville NJ

IF your cover is laying on the pool water - as it should be - then is it not holding much weight. If you were to try and pick it up off of the pool, then it would be under a lot of tension.

I siphon mine off whenever there is water on it, so that any leaves that get on it blow off.

27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

4. Back To Top    #4

I just got a leaf net this year

I also decided to try using a pillow, which so far seems to help. Water is only on about 1/3 of the cover, 5" deep. I will siphon a good amount of it off soon since the leaves are about done falling.

The previous two winters without a leaf net or pillow, I didn't siphon any off until spring. The leaf gunk was a HUGE mess.
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]