Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP -Want to Add Step to SPA - Gunite already shot

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP -Want to Add Step to SPA - Gunite already shot

So our spa is on the same level as our pool. We were not wise enough to think of adding a step and the pool builder didn't bring it up either.
    Me and wife can get in out, kids will prolly care less, but it will be difficult for grandparents and even us in a few years.

They shot the gunite on 10/15 and the pool is in the process of curing. I think I would like to add a little triangle step in the corner of the spa.
    What are my options? Does this have to be made of Gunite? Do they have to bring out the truck for such a small step?
    Will adding this 2 weeks after original shoot affect anything?

Please let me know your thoughts, thanks!!
    15x32 16k Gal IG riversand (pebblesheen) pool, Filter: Jandy 48 sq ft DE filter, Circulation Pump: Stealth Pump 2 hp 2 speed, SWCG, Heater Size and Electronic Ignition: Jandy LRZ400 Natural Heater, Cleaning System: Polaris 280, Spa: 8 Jets, 1 fountain, Polaris 220V 1.5HP QT blower

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HELP -Want to Add Step to SPA - Gunite already shot

I have a raised spa and I can tell you that I honestly wish I didn't have a step. I have missed it more times then I care to mention almost hurting myself. I just don't use it at all now.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

3. Back To Top    #3

I think if it were a raised spa I'd be ok. You can sit on the raised sides, kick your feet over, and then get in. Our spa is ground level so you would have to kneel down and
    sit down on the ground to get in. Fine for people in 20's but I would think older people might find it hard. Thoughts?
    15x32 16k Gal IG riversand (pebblesheen) pool, Filter: Jandy 48 sq ft DE filter, Circulation Pump: Stealth Pump 2 hp 2 speed, SWCG, Heater Size and Electronic Ignition: Jandy LRZ400 Natural Heater, Cleaning System: Polaris 280, Spa: 8 Jets, 1 fountain, Polaris 220V 1.5HP QT blower

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

A step was added in my neighbor's pool, after gunite but before pebbletec. They drilled a couple holes for rebar to tie it in, then formed it up and poured it using sackcrete.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

No step is OK on raised spa because you can sit on the coping and swing legs in and out, for a lowered spa same elevation as pool I would recommend a step, tell your PB you want one and see what he says, I don't see why you can't do what chiefwej says.
    26,000 gallon gunite IGP with 50 sq ft Spa, Jandy VS FloPro 2hp Pump, Jandy DEV48 Filter, Jandy AquaPure SWG, Jandy AquaLink PDA-PS6 Controller, RayPak R406A Heater, Polaris 380 Cleaner, completed April 2013

6. Back To Top    #6

If I do go the drill holes for rebar and sackcrete. Do I wait the initial 27 days from the original gunite before the drill in, or is better to go ahead and have them do it before then? Make sense?

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I would direct that question to your pool builder.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit