Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump ran dry, now hard to get started

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump ran dry, now hard to get started

Recently, I sprung a leak and the pool got down below the skimmer level and ran dry for a while, maybe a whole day, or part, not sure.

I figured I was in big trouble, but I pushed the button and it started up and pumped away. Whew I thought...

However, now it is tripping the breaker when it starts up. It makes a loud humming, like it is stuck, then it either trips or takes off and runs, no loud noises or anything after it gets going.

Am I looking at a motor problem, or the innards of the pump problem?
    I redid the seal about 6 months ago, so I know how to take it apart and look at things if needed.

It's a Hayward pump

Thanks (yet again) tfp!
    Vinyl liner pool, approx. 10,000 gallon. 1HP Hayward Pump, Hayward Sand filter, Zodiac vacuum, TFP WIP

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pump ran dry, now hard to get started

First place to start is the motor start capacitor.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't know if I have a capacitor, unless it is inside the motor's housing, there is not an external one like the industrial stuff at work.

Maybe my question is wrong...? What should happen if the pump runs dry for some time?
    Vinyl liner pool, approx. 10,000 gallon. 1HP Hayward Pump, Hayward Sand filter, Zodiac vacuum, TFP WIP

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The capacitor may be inside the end bell cap.

Typically, if a pump runs dry for an extended period of time, the pump itself (not the motor) will overheat. This can soften the PVC connections (causing leaks or failure to prime), may melt the pump basket, and could damage the shaft seal.
    If, when the motor does run, the pump primes and works properly, without leaks, you probably didn't damage it.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok I'll check out the insides.
    Other than starting it seems to work fine, so I just left it running 24/7 for now until I get a chance to work on it.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

It's probably the capacitor as mentioned. I had that happen this year. The pump ran dry which melted the inlet and outlet fitting on the pump and the intense heat that formed since the pump could not cool off applied extra heat to the external top mounted capacitor
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp