Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to use a net cover over a solid cover?

1. Back To Top    #1

When to use a net cover over a solid cover?

I read in another thread that some people use a net type cover over their solid cover to help remove the leaves - at least that is what I think I understood. Can someone clue me in? I have just covered the 16x32 inground at my father-in-law's house - I'll have to partially remove the cover to fully winterize later (water too warm (68).

I don't currently have a reliable blower - the one I have works in fits and so my plan of blowing the leaves off the cover isn't going to work very well...

My current plan is to repair the blower but this netting idea might also be a useful addition to the arsenal. The cover I have is a safety cover - solid but with drain panel. I anchors in the concrete that I could loop netting type cover to.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When to use a net cover over a solid cover?

Hi there. You can use the leaf net covers for sale online at a variety of pool suppliers and amazon for that purpose, some are designed specifically for winter covers.

I went without this year and spent a few hours yesterday and today clearing off leaves a foot deep. The blower only piled em up in the wet center anyway -- my extend pole leaf net that I used normally in the water was long enough though to just slide them off. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, but next year I'm going to get a pond net that another poster mentioned to try to cover while open and then again over the winter cover. I don't want the one's made for the winter cover, because I have someone else install it, and don't want to take out the ladders and raise the anchors while the pool is still open.

So here's the pond net (cheaper by far) http://www.amazon.com/Dalen-PN45-Nettin ... P3J0N1X5ML

Hope that helps.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You use the net over the winter cover. When the leaves have stopped falling (and before they start rotting) use the net to roll the leaves off the cover. Makes opening much easier.
    But, really, with a safety cover, the leaf net is pretty redundant.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot
    You use the net over the winter cover. When the leaves have stopped falling (and before they start rotting) use the net to roll the leaves off the cover. Makes opening much easier.
    But, really, with a safety cover, the leaf net is pretty redundant.
    My plan was to use the brush and push them from the center to the edges - my pole is 16' and my pool is that wide.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump