Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: old heater, buried connections, need a guess on topology

1. Back To Top    #1

old heater, buried connections, need a guess on topology

Our old heater (purchased with the house) obviously hasn't been used in a very long time. The spa portion of our pool has a bunch of dirt in it, if that's any indication. Are large gas heater something we should be looking to refurbish if we want to eventually get the spa working again, or if there is visible rust around the burners (the front panel was left off for years, we'd guess), should we just cut it out of the system and purchase anew?

truth be told, we'd probably be better off with a solar system where we're located.

thanks for any thoughts!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: old heater, buried connections, need a guess on topology

Well, you don't say where you are located but solar has a lot of advantages in the right climate and old heaters are usually problematic.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

If you have a spa and want to use it, you will need a gas heater. Solar or heat pumps do not provide the heat that you would probably want. If you want to heat your spa to say 90-100 degrees and in a rather quick manor, then gas is the only way to do it.

Solar and heat pumps are great for pools only and depending on where you live will determine what you would get out of either of them. Just remember that both rely upon outside factors in order to work to their fullest potential.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

ps0303 is correct. I overlooked you were thinking of heating the spa.....you'll need gas for that.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

well, i'm still thinking a 20 year old heater that looks rusted should probably be removed regardless. i'll have my plumber cap the gas line and try to get the heater removed. thanks!