Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump motor may be done.

1. Back To Top    #1

pump motor may be done.

A few days ago, my wife heard the pump running, then she turned it off to clean the skimmer, and when she turned it back on, it just hummed. it sounds like it does when the impeller is stuck, but my wife was able to turn the impeller freely. the motor housing gets very hot.

i'm thinking it's one of two things: either the motor is shot, or one of the legs is not energized (it's a 240V pump). the part of this that throws me is that the impeller turns freely... if it were the bearings or the motor was fused, then i would expect the impeller to be stuck as well. i suppose the motor could can burned out a winding, or maybe one of the leads is loose.

anyway, i'm going to tackle this soon, but wandered if anyone had some thoughts based on the above.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: pump motor may be done.

Could also be a blown start capacitor. I agree it doesn't seem seized up.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

North of Charlotte, NC

I had the same exact symptoms with mine recently, pulled the motor and had it checked out, turned out to be a bad start winding which would be repairable but not economical....replacing motor with new....
    24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

4. Back To Top    #4
    Lakeland, FL

17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks guys! - i'll check it out as soon as i can get back in there.

6. Back To Top    #6

It can be the capacitor but it can also be a bad or dirty start switch.
    10,000 I/G PebbleTec Pool, !.5 HP Hayward Super II Pump w/ imPower Motor, 175 sq FT Hayward Cartridge Filter, Jandy Aquapure 700 SWG, Zodiac G3 Cleaner, HydroTemp Heat Pump, Fiberstart Fiber Optic Lighting