Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Types

1. Back To Top    #1

Southern California

Pump Types

Just curious. What are the characteristics of above ground pool pumps that differentiate them in-ground pumps. The only differances I can observe from the parts diagrams, seems to be the way the motor flange is coupled to the pump housing, and the lack of a diffuser on the AG models. What am I missing?
    15K gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool(58 year-old Anthony Bros.), 15'x30', depth 3-1/2'->8' . Hayward Ecostar pump. Hayward DE-3600 filter with Variflow 710XR50 1-1/2" valve. Polaris 380 cleaner & "the pool cleaner (suction)". Main-drain suction disconnected. New skimmer suction plumbing 2" PVC. Single return line 1" copper. Cleaner line 1-1/2" copper, re-plumbed in pump-house (PVC) for either suction or pressure. Hayward 3/4HP PB4 booster pump. Leslie's 260 BTU Coppertherm heater. All new suction interconnect plumbing 2". Return plumbing, filter-to-booster, 1-1/2". Single return to pool 1". All equipment located 2-1/2ft. above pool bottom level ( neg. 5ft. from surface ).

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Pump Types

The design level of head loss or resistance to the flow. Also the ability to draw a vacuum to prime.

AG pumps are below water level, so priming happens by itself. IG pumps are generally above water and have to create a vacuum to draw the water up to prime.

Also the AG pumps generally are near the pool so lower head loss than IG pumps that may be further from the pool.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!